Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Auditing Logins SD4.5 SP13

Highlighted
Simon Turner_4
Trusted Contributor.

Auditing Logins SD4.5 SP13

Hi,

Is there a way of telling when a user has logged into the system or has a log of times/dates when people have logged in?

Regards

Simon
11 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Auditing Logins SD4.5 SP13

Hello Simon,

This can be done on SP15 where enhanced auditing is introduced.

However by going to Administrator Console/Audit/Logged On Users you can see the currently logged users. If you want to see the time the connection was created you must customize the view and add "Created".
menes fhtagn
Michel SILVA SO
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Simon,

to have a Log you can use the Enhanced Auditing in the Administrator Console > Security > Enhanced Auditing > Audit Log.

To make it work go to Enhanced Auditing > Configuration, right-click and press "Resume". Than in the tree select Logged on users and audit log will be created on this.

Be carreful this will slowdown the server.

I can't remember from which SP it is provided.

Hope this helps,
Rgds,
Michel
Michel SILVA SO
Outstanding Contributor.

Enhanced Auditing accessible only with system!

;o)
Michel
Simon Turner_4
Trusted Contributor.

i do have enhanced auditing on and I can check the current logged on users, but I would like to find a log file somewhere that shows me a list of log on times in the past. Is there this kind of facility?
Michel SILVA SO
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Simon,

I don't think so.

:o/

Rgds,
Michel.
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

Sorry Simon.... i don't think you can have this.

But, you can try to pull the data from the DB, when when ever the usesr login. But i don't recomend this, if you don't have a very strong DB person, who is dam sure of that he is doing.

-Ashly
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
LexTNS
Respected Contributor.

Hi Simon,
I use copy from audit and paste in Excel to make a graph of per hour logged in users. This because of the concurrent licences together with 4 times as much users then licences. This way i get info when we are too close to the max number of users.
Reply for more info.
Hope this helps.
Lex.
Simon Turner_4
Trusted Contributor.

Do you have something that runs the copy into excel for you, or do you have to do it manually every hour?
LexTNS
Respected Contributor.

Hi Simon,
The copy/paste process is not a 'live' (neither automatic) process. It's done manually on a weekly basis. Due to a automatic logoff in 10 min it is really a lot of data (15000 lines per month, for about 30 users), but i don't know about a better way without using SQL approach.
Lex.
Simon Turner_4
Trusted Contributor.

So how do you get hourly data if you are only extracting it every week?

Is there a log file somewhere that holds this?
LexTNS
Respected Contributor.

I was trying to give screenshots as example but this is too much. I use excel formulas and "draaitabellen" (english? translation says turn tables???? :-) ) to convert the logdata to the number of logged on users. The reliability is very discutable (english?), for example a service restart causes a "not logged logout of users", so my graph starts "drifting" and i have to compensate (reset the number of logged on users) for that event. But again its the only way i know to do this (getting info for use of sessions), and its safe for the database. I'm in for better solutions!
You might mail me at lextodbeckmantanobtodnl (replace tod=. and ta=@)
Lex.