The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audit of custom fields

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Jeremy Wespi
Occasional Contributor

Audit of custom fields

Software: OpenView ServiceDesk 4.5 (SP7)

Is there an easy way to see what custom fields are being used, and what type they are ?

I have taken over an existing system. I am looking at writing some rules for various calculations, and would like to know what custom fields are being used, and how they are being used.

Other than looking up every individual custom field to see if it is active and then looking into every existing rule to see which ones are being used, or creating tickets to test every possible field's value and see what impact it has on other fields, is there a report that can be generated to show what custom fields are being used?

Thanks,
Jeremy
6 REPLIES
Dan Ioan
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Re: Audit of custom fields

Hi Jeremy,

In Admin console you can export data using ACES from menu (File/Aces/Aces export wizard). Choose Data end start export. A XML file will be generated in your data_exchange (xml) folder.
Among o lot of data you can see custom fields, but I' m afraid that you will have just a list of these per items category with teir internal ID and Name.
Hope this helps you somehow.
Regards,

Dan
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Jeremy,

With SP 18 there is a new on-screen presentation of the custom fields, where the active fields appear with a check mark, making it a little easier to see what is what.

Short of that and the export to XML, you can also extract the information using SQL and using the Web-API.

-Josh
Mihai Tita
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

You can use Data Dictionary that show the operational tables in HP OV SD DB where you can see what custom fields are used, and what type they are.
There are separate tables for custom fields .For example: itsm_inc_custom_fields (incidents table), itsm_per_custom_fields (persons table), itsm_org_custom_fields (organizations table), etc.
Generate Data Dictionary: Admin console > System Panel > Report Settings > Generate Data Dictionary
Publish Data Dictionary in .xml format, open .xml file in MS Excel and filter the list by using the criteria: Field contains "custom fields".

Regards,
Mihai
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeremy,

Try the attached

Regards

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Jeremy Wespi
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to everyone. I don't think I can get exactly what I'm looking for, but these ideas will get me close.
Anda Apine

You can search in rules...

Open admin console and rules you want to search in.
Set File/Report style/ to Table.
Take File/Print Preview - you can search in this or you can coppy from there.
You also can use File/Export to export data to excel.

Regards,

Anda
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event