The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audit log error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Audit log error

When trying to view the audit log through the Admin console, Security > Enhanced Auditing > Audit Log, I get a java nullpointer exception error.

Can anybody tell me why this is happening?

Or perhaps where the audit log file is stored so I can open it directly?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES
Ramaprasad N
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Audit log error

Audit log will be in the OVSD database.

I think your audit log is too huge and hence, it's giving that error.

-Ram
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

OK, so how do I reduce the size of the file. Or start from a new file?

With the server log file, its a text file which can be renamed and the system starts with a new one.

Can this be done with the audit log file?
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Peter,

To empty the audit log, you need to archive it; go System Panel, Archive settings. Note archiving will empty the log completely but you will have the info in an XML file.

Note you can confgure the view of the audit log by setting a filter so you only see some of the records.

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the replies, I've archived the log, took ages but it worked.

I can now see the audit log, I'm going to try and setup a regular archiving by scheduling the job to run.

Any advice on doing this?
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Peter,

Regular audits can be done using sd_archive.bat (usually in C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\server\bin on a windows server).

The simplest way of scheduling it is using the windows AT command. Try AT /? in a DOS box to see the paramters

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

I've tried to run sd_archive.bat from the command line before setting it up as a scheduled job.

The attached Word doc shows the error I get. Can anybody shed any light on what might be the problem?

Thanks
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event