Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attachments in Inbound Emails not working (SP15)

Highlighted
Ken Briscoe
Honored Contributor

Attachments in Inbound Emails not working (SP15)

We have inbound emails working fine-creating Service Calls-except for the attachments. Any attachments to inbound emails get converted to text (often meaningless of course) and attached as a content.txt file, rather than being added as the correct type of attachment (eg Word or Excel). The Admin guide says tick the "Insert Attachments allowed" which I've done. I have a vague recollection of some issue with how the emails are forwarded to HPSD but can't locate any info.
Is this just an SP15 problem, or does anyone have a suggestion how I can fix this? I have a feeling this is a dumb question....I hope not!!!. Thanks.....Ken.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
8 REPLIES
MarkvL
Honored Contributor

Re: Attachments in Inbound Emails not working (SP15)

Hi Ken,

This looks like you are using embedded attachments. This is a known side effect.
If you attach the files in a normal way to the mails it should work.

Mark
HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Ken Briscoe
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark - thanks for your prompt reply. But...can you explain please? Our users just attach documents etc to emails in Outlook using the normal paper clip icon on the tool bar. Would that create an "embedded attachment"? Or is this some sort of exchange setting?
MarkvL
Honored Contributor

Hi Ken,

On my own system I use Outlook, if I set the mail format in an open e-mail to Plain text or HTML format and use the paperclip it will add an attachment and the field attachment will be added to the mail.
If I use Rich text and add an attachment with the paperclip it will embed the attachment in the body of the mail.

Kind regards,

Mark
HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Ken Briscoe
Honored Contributor

Thanks Mark. I tried sending both Plain Text and Rich Text emails with attachments but got the same result in HPSD regardless - ie all attached as Content.txt, not as proper attachments. I guess enxt step is to log with HP.
Ragnar Saevarss
Regular Collector

Hi Ken.

We have the same problem on SP7, and we have not been able to identify a pattern - sometimes attachments are fine, sometimes we get the context.txt.

Beginning to think it is related to the mail set-up outside SD. We are currently migrating from Exchange 5.5 to 2003, using the migration replicator between the two environments.

Our Exchange SD inbound e-mail accounts reside on the 5.5 side. Recently we discovered that user e-mail accounts living in 2003 result in two Service Calls being created in SD, and we have examples of one copy coming through with attachments ok and the other copy coming in with context.txt.

This has been driving us mad, but I'm waiting to migrate the SD e-mail accounts to the 2003 environment to see if that solves the problem.

Best regards,
Ragnar
Sergiy Bilous
Super Collector

Maybe it will be helpful to somebody.
We had the same problem when we sent mail from MS Outlook (through Exchange 2003 and SMTP-connector to HP SD box). The solution was to make additional setting in Exchange:
1. Open "System Manager"
2. Go to "Global Settings - > "Internet message format"
3. Create new domain "servicedesk.domain.com"
4. Set the settings to send the email in plain-text format.
This will convert all messages which go from Exchange to Service Desk. Now it works well with plain-text, html and RTF messages. Attachments are properly attached to ServiceCalls.

Good luck!
Ken Briscoe
Honored Contributor

solved except for emails from oracle mail.
Evgeniy Bezgodo
Super Collector

Hi!
I have alredy checked that option, but it seems, that this option not works. The e-mail messeges is still delivering in html format and attachments is content.txt.

What is my mistake?
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event