Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Attachment sharing

Highlighted
Antonio Valle_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Attachment sharing

Hi friends. I'm back for a while, since I'm about to start a SD integration project :-)

We are facing an interesting problem in this project and it is the need to have two completely different ServiceDesk 4.5 instances sharing a central repository for the attachments.

In a customer<-->outsourcer integration, we have the customer SD instance and the Outsourcer SD instance. It's time to integrate both environments. We have developed an "attachment exchange engine" that is capable to transfer the attachments between both environments, but now customer would like to have a central repository for those files used by both SD instances.

Has anybody faced this requirement before? How did you solve the problem?

I'm thinking on a central FTP repository with UNC paths, but SD is not behaving properly under this situation because files loose the file extension and gets renamed to something weird.

I'll reward any hint! :-)
9 REPLIES
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Attachment sharing

What Service Pack Level are they running?
after SP 16 the attachments structure changes, it goes from a windows share to an ftp server.

Jay
Antonio Valle_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

They are running SP20
That's the point with the structure and filenames... :-(
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

can you not run mig_attachments.exe?
this asks you for the old location and then you can specify on the ftp settigns where the new location is.
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi
Strange project.
If your(or customer) SD instance is different, and this two server not use one db, so and cases (SC,WO,...) will have a different OID then a Attachment too. How are you like relate the attachments from one server to another?
Or this is SD instance using one db, just local ftp?

Vasily
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

I can't see how this could work Antonio because the path and file name is derived from the OID - and you could easily have the same OID being two quite different records in the two systems.
The only other (but unfriendly) way I can think of is to require all attachments to be in some sort of central Document Management system, then get users to attach a LINK (eg URL) to that system, rather than attach the attachment itself. Assuming there are DMS's that callow that sort of access, and you could find an easy way to attach the link. Yuk.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

hi!

All the best!!!

Looks like a very challenging project. I am wondering how you will handle the oid, since there are two DBs.
I think, you need to have some Stored procedures, reading the OIDs and do magic!!

Anyway, your "attachment exchange engine" is a real wonder. if possible, please share some info about this, i am curious.

Fine, now the FTP. Try to FTP in binary mode, so that the file will not be changed. When you login to FTP prompt, you need to key in "bin" and enter. I think you can incorporate this in your program, and hope this will help you.

Ashly A K
http://geocities.com/helponhpopenview/
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
Antonio Valle_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Vasily:
It's a strange project from the technical point of view, but from a functional view it is almost common sense. A final user calls the support center and notify and incident, then he sends a screenshot and the support guy attach it to the ServiceCall.

Then, the ServiceCall is assigned to a field engineer from the Outsourcing company and the integration procedure "copies" the servicecall to the OS ServiceDesk and the attachment should be shared or replicated.

If you think about requests fullfillment process, the same idea applies (with electronic forms to request for a new PC, a new mobile phone and so).

Now, the Outsourcer team solved the incident and attached to the record a documentation file, so the attachment should, again, be replicated or shared.

About the OIDs and the other stuff, I agree that it's not something that can be done "out-of-the-box", so it's time for imagination and this is the core of my question... anybody has faced this situation before?

I'm thinking on a development that can work as a "attachment manager for SD", but still thinking.

Regards!
Antonio
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

hi!

Are the people updating the Ticket ID of the other call in their tickets ?

I mean, people using SD-1 working on a ticket #12345. Is this ticket ID appearing anywhere in the SD-2 ?

Ashly A K
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
Antonio Valle_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yes, of course (to maintain the link).
we have a customer_SD_ID and outsourcer_SD_ID.

Antonio