Did you mean: 

Assignment of service calls depending on the time

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Tim Black
Regular Collector

Assignment of service calls depending on the time

I need to have a rule that assigns a service call to a specific workgroup depending on the time that the service call is created, sort of like shifts. Once a shift is over it should also re-assign all service calls still open to the workgroup starting work then.

Sorry if it's a bit confusing but what i mean is just a simple shift problem.

I've been trying to get that to work with rules but I don't seem to find a way to relate it to the time...
14 REPLIES
Misaq
Honored Contributor

Re: Assignment of service calls depending on the time

You may need to create two or more rules (compund may be) first one will assign the workgroup based on call creation time.

Other one will check after every shift rollover time (8 hrs or about) and then move those tkts (can put a pre condition ) to other group based on system time at that moment or evaluation.
Tim Black
Regular Collector

I understand that I'll need two different rules, my problem is with the time, what kind of condition do i need to see if the time is between x and y ?

What's the variable Creation time ?
Misaq
Honored Contributor

Depending on your shift time you can have a conditin that if the creation or evaluation time say between time x and time y then fire the rule .

you will need to have muliple conditions for that though. I am just going by semantics. As Iam sure people must be using better logic to create this rule (may be custom filed or support hour field use)
Tim Black
Regular Collector

Maybe i'm just missing something plain easy but what is the field for creation time on the condition !?
Misaq
Honored Contributor

creation time is the time of service call creation when it is logged in service desk. If that what you were looking for ?
Tim Black
Regular Collector

Not at all. When you create a rule, you add a condition, and in that condition you use fields, no field has the name creation time, that's what I mean. And there is the option of using : contains, is, is empty, etc. How do I use that o work for me ? I mean, to use it like, "between 09:00 AND 20:00"
Misaq
Honored Contributor

I dont have service desk handy here but as I recall there is some where a registration date or time field.

As far as between thing goes you will need to create compund condition using AND OR booleans
Gerry Allardice
Honored Contributor

Tim,
The way to do this requires two custom date fields.
Lets call first. StartDay the Other FinishDay.

At call creation you copy
RegisteredTime - 8 hours to StartDay.
RegisteredTime - 17 hours to FinishDay.

In rules you test if StartDay is Yesterday and if FinishDay is yesterday. From the results of these two you can workout if the call was logged between 8.00am and 5.00pm.

You may have to play around with the ammount you have to take away as the Yesterday test may not take into account GMT offset.
Tim Black
Regular Collector

I still haven't been able to do this. I'm probably missing something, sorry. I'll re-explain my problem.

I need to have service desk set up to automaticly assing a service call to a specific person ( workgroup ) depending on the time of the day. If the service call is created say between 9am and 5pm it should assign it to the workgroup DayGroup for example, if after 5pm it should be assigned to NightGroup for example.

This is one part of the problem. The other one is that once the day reaches 5pm, all service calls still open have to be re-assigned to the NightGroup and once it reaches 9am it should be re-assigned back to the DayGroup if during the night it wasn't closed.

This is an example of what I needed...

I've tried to "play" around with the rules but don't seem to be able to get a logic that works.

Thanks all
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Tim

Are you using Workgroup Opening Hours? I havent tried this but if you are maybe you can condition the rules based on assignments to workgroups and the hours that they are open?

Assignment To workgroup Opening Hours=xxx
or
(Not)Assignment To workgroup Opening Hours=xxx
Tim Black
Regular Collector

I have created opening hours for each group, but as I've said, I can't understand how that would fit on the rule.

The rules have 4 options of being applied :

When service call is created or modified, created, modified or deleted.

None of these fit into what I need..

If time goes past 8pm for example how do I make it re-assign all opening service calls to the other workgroup using rules as everyone suggested ?
Gerry Allardice
Honored Contributor
Solution

Tim,
You could schedule a dataexchange task from the cron or scheduled tasks on the application server. The data exchange exports the call IDs your are interested and then and then imports the new assignment.

ie select ID, 'newassignment' as ASSIGNTO from ITSM_SERVICECALLS where status is OPEN would be the selection. note the new ASSIGNTO is the hardcoded searchcode of the require assignment.

You then import the created XML file and the calls are updated.
Tim Black
Regular Collector

Great call Gerry. Working perfectly. But the part that I thought would be easier isn't being that easy.

Mark O'Loughlin, I have set the workgroups opening hours but will it use the opening hours to automaticly assign the created service call according to it's creation time ? At least I haven't been able to set that up on the rules...
Tim Black
Regular Collector

Ended up using the FinishDay and Startday suggestion. But when you say :

In rules you test if StartDay is Yesterday and if FinishDay is yesterday.

I believe you mean :

In rules you test if StartDay is Today and if FinishDay is yesterday.

Just for future reference for anyone.

Thank you all, specially Gerry.

Cheers all
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event