Assignment Rules and restrictions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Marco Antonio G
Regular Collector

Assignment Rules and restrictions

Greetings friends!

Our Service Desk implementations will require that certain restrictions and/or rules be placed with regard to service call assignments.

THe setup that we'd like to acheive is as follows:

Hierarchy:

Regional Manager
Team Leader
Team Technician

Where the Team Leader(s) and Team Tecnician(s) are part of a Workgroup and the Regional Manager is responsible for all the Workgroups i his region.

Rules we'd like to emulate:
- A Regional manager can only assign calls to Workgroups (not workgroup memmbers directly), that belong to his region.

- A Team Leader can either assign a call to a Team Technician that belongs to the group the Call was assigned to. i.e He has access to all calls sent to his team; or he can return the call to his regional manager.

- A Team Technician can only return the call to his Team, at which point the Team Leader will have access to the call again. (using and idea of each team having some sort of queue).

Is such a setup possible and how difficult do you think it would be to implement this?
6 REPLIES
Dan Ioan
Frequent Visitor

Re: Assignment Rules and restrictions

Hi Marco,
Do you have an IT HelpDesk in your organization? Because the assignment of service calls is a help desk officer responsability.
Do you have basic ITIL processes implemented?Change, Configuration, Call&Incident, Problem and SLM, with workflows, procedures and RACI model of responsability?
Your model seems to be forced by a an earlier stage of maturity level for ITIL processes mentioned.
Regards,
Dan
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor
Solution

Marco,

You might do the following to implement your rules (although it will be quite inflexible, and this may cause problems when you really do the work).

1. Each region has its own folder. You only see the workgroups in your own region, and the team members in your own region.

2. The Regional manager has a role that makes the Assignment To Person field view only.

3. The Team leader has a role that makes the Assignment to Workgroup field view only.

4. The Technician has a role that makes the Assignment to Workgroup field view only.

With this configuration in place, Team Leaders and technicians can only enter assignments to team members. The regional manager will see only his own teams. The problem will be returning a call to the regional manager. You could solve this by making the regional manager a member of all workgroups in his region, although this is a clumsy workaround.

I agree with the comment that your system does not follow best practice, and so you may have problems using a tool that was designed to support best practice, rather than a purely hierarchical workflow.

-Josh.
Marco Antonio G
Regular Collector

THank you for the input fellas!

Its true...that this sort of setup isn't really going towards best practices.

We are currently Implementing Incident, Problem, COnfiguration and Change Management.

Yes we do have a HelpDesk with Analysts who will be assiging calls to Regional Managers or Regional Workgroups. Allowing them "free assigment" is simpler because we have professionals supervising all their activities. Our main concern are the Regional Areas because we have no direct involvement with them. More often than not, calls will be assigned to Regional Workgroups directly from the Help Desk analysts.

I have often argued with my superiors that its about time we started giving people more responsibility and breaking away from such a rigid structure, but my complains fall on deaf ears under the argument that "people in the Regional Areas cannot be trusted to freely assign calls since they could misaasign a call and it could end up hoping all over the organization and the clients support will be delayed."

Hence the "justification" for ruch a rigid set of rules. I truly wish things culd be changed at this point but with that not being possible, such rules and restrictions would have to be used until such a time when the entrie organization can be adapted to a new way of working.
Marco Antonio G
Regular Collector

THank you for the input fellas!

Its true...that this sort of setup isn't really going towards best practices.

We are currently Implementing Incident, Problem, COnfiguration and Change Management.

Yes we do have a HelpDesk with Analysts who will be assiging calls to Regional Managers or Regional Workgroups. Allowing them "free assigment" is simpler because we have professionals supervising all their activities. Our main concern are the Regional Areas because we have no direct involvement with them. More often than not, calls will be assigned to Regional Workgroups directly from the Help Desk analysts.

I have often argued with my superiors that its about time we started giving people more responsibility and breaking away from such a rigid structure, but my complains fall on deaf ears under the argument that "people in the Regional Areas cannot be trusted to freely assign calls since they could misaasign a call and it could end up hoping all over the organization and the clients support will be delayed."

Hence the "justification" for ruch a rigid set of rules. I truly wish things culd be changed at this point but with that not being possible, such rules and restrictions would have to be used until such a time when the entrie organization can be adapted to a new way of working.

WHen you say that the To Person field being set to "View Only" is that something simple to accomplish?
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Marco,

To set a field to View only for a given role, go to Security -> Roles; select the role; select the object; click on Advanced; select the field to make View only; click on the button View.

-Josh
Marco Antonio G
Regular Collector

Thanks a lot Josh...that should give me something to start with.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event