Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Assign SC Category to workgorup

Highlighted
Hadi Kazemi
Respected Contributor.

Assign SC Category to workgorup

Hi,

I have a requirement of assigning certain category of Service calls to specific workgroup.
Although I can do this sing the Rules, I do not wish to create a rule for each of the condition is there any way I can create the relation which I can use for assigning the call

Thanks,

Hadi
11 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Assign SC Category to workgorup

Hello Hadi,

This is the perfect job for generic relations.

Create a generic relation between Service Call;Category and Work Groups. Enter there the values.

Then create a ui rule like this:

When Service Call is modified and category is anything (*) limit value range through generic relations, choose as source field the "Service Call;Category" and then select the generic relation.

You need SP17 or greater for this. Also have a good reading of Generic Relations documentation.
menes fhtagn
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Hadi,

George is correct - generic relations are just what you want but I know you are version 5 not 4.5.

It is not documented in the help or the admin guide but only in the Release notes (page 29 of the 5.1 SD_Release_Notes.en.pdf)

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Hadi Kazemi
Respected Contributor.

George,

Many thanks for the suggestion, this is exactly what I am looking for, I am currently checking the reference Ruth given me. The steps are clear but I am unable to see the assigned to work group field.

Ruth would please take me through this.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Hadi,

The basic concept of Generic Relations is relating entities and not fields.

So you won't find "Assignment;TO Workgroup" in entities because this is just a field, not an entity. On the other hand "Service Call Category" is a field on OVSD but it is also an entity. That's why you can find "Service Call Category" in the entity list.

What I wrote in first post stands: Create a relation between Service Call Category and Work Groups,

and a ui rule like this:

When Service Call is modified and category is anything (*) limit value range through generic relations, choose as target field "Assignment;To Workgroup" then choose as source field the "Service Call;Category" and then select the generic relation.
menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Generic Relations are really useful on many occassions but, George will be the first to tell you that they are only half finished.

You cannot export/import any generic relations you create. So if you run a test environment, which you should really do, then any generic relations you create in TEST have to be manually re-created in the LIVE environment.

So experiment, but don't bother creating all relationships in TEST.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Peter, the main problem is mass creating generic relations not exporting from test to production. Actually, provided that test and production are relatively in sync, this is quite easy.

OK, it would be great if we had an ACES export/import. On the other hand if we had ACES export import then the OIDS would be retained. So, it only take two queries to sync test and prod environments generic relations, ACES export/import wouldn't do something different.
menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

I know what you are saying George but, to export GR's requires DB manipulation which is far from ideal.

George Meneqakis Jun 27, 2007 20:34:53 GMT

"As many of you know generic relations is a very handy tool. However it is unfinished! You cannot export, you cannot import, you cannot drag and drop, you cannot use ACES... you cannot even display the freaking relation type on the view! "
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

For export/import it only takes two queries:

select * from dbo.IFC_GENERICRELATIONS, export it to a csv file and import it to a temp table in the production. Then

insert into dbo.IFC_GENERICRELATIONS
select * from

and you are finished!
menes fhtagn
Hadi Kazemi
Respected Contributor.

Hi George
I have created the rule and the relationship, see attached screen shot, I am still not sure where you specify which category of service call relates to which workgroup?

On page 33 of the release note it shows the relationship windows for the severity and priority, where do I set the relationship for the service call category to workgroups?

Regards,

Hadi
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Hadi,

In version 5 you have to create a form for the relevant code field which includes the relationships area: so go to OV Config>Presentation>Forms and create a new one.

Select the relevant code and add the fields you need to the form.

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Hadi Kazemi
Respected Contributor.

Hi Ruth,

I have examined the release note for the 4.5 SP17 which I found it very useful, but 5.1 version appears to be significantly different to 4.5, to start with I can not see any Generic Relation Type shown if the page 195 of SP17 Release note (i.e. Data>General section).

Where else can I find the proper reference for this function and the sequence for creating the relation for version 5.1?

Perhaps we can have a screen shot for version 5 which covers this subject as clear as SP17.

Regards,

Hadi