Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Asset Management with Service Desk

Highlighted
Rutha
Super Contributor.

Asset Management with Service Desk

Hi ,

Presently I am working on SD 4.5 for Incident Management.

But now my management want me to manage assets with same SD 4.5.

Is it possible to manage assets with same SD 4.5 or I need to buy some seprate module for Asset Management.

Regards

Rutha

3 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Asset Management with Service Desk

Hi,

You should have access to the CMDB module though it depends on what exactly you want to do in asset management.

You can do a basic form of asset management so far as logging and keeping track of assets from a lifecycle point of view. It gets a little difficult to perform asset management sytle calculations.

With SP 20 and above you have the option to create unlimite custom fields and which will help.

I think you need to know fully what you want from asset management before deciding if the CMDB will do or if you ned to look at another tool.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

I think going forward "Asset Center" from HP will be their application of choice for asset management.

It is available at the moment and has connectors into OVSD though this may just be no more that utilising OVSD data exchange.

Have a look at the product spec.
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

hi!

Asset Center is the answer, but if you can do all most all the basic functions and implement any ITIL / ISO using the CMDB in service desk.

It is very powerful and easy to use. I have seen and worked on a project in which they manage more than 30,000 elements using CMDB of SD 4.5. This 30,000 includes all the telephones, Air Conditioner etc..etc.. and All the IT stuffs (Server, hard Disk, desktop etc)

First have a process defined. Like how are you going to track the changes etc, then you look at CMDB, it will be easier.

Ashly A K
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview