Apply rule to existing data

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Steve Liddle
Super Collector

Apply rule to existing data

Hi,

I'm using HPSD 4.5 SP17 and am wondering if there is a way to apply a rule to existing data.

In particular, I have created a Service Call database rule that will copy caller to requestor, so that this can be viewed on the Service Today view. This is working fine for new calls. There is a number of older open calls that have a blank requestor field as they were created before the rule was implemented.

I'm wondering if there is a way I can apply my rule to the older open calls so that the caller is copied to the requestor field?

Thanks,
Steve
4 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Apply rule to existing data

Hi Steve,

The technique is to make a copy of your rule and alter the condition to make something else trigger it temporarily (e.g. Source ID being set to *******. Then do an advanced find to find the records you want to apply the rule to and use update all to make the temporary trigger (e.g set Source ID to *******).

Then remove the tempory rule.

Note you may want to do a few at a time to avoid performance issues.

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor

Ruth is right (as usual ;-). There is one more option: use my UpdateAllEnhanced from here: http://www.skolnik.info/sdutils/multiupdate/readme.html That would allow you to Update using references to other fields, expressions, etc - the same way as in rules. However I tested the thing on SP18+ so I am not sure it will work on SP17. But you might want to try. That way you do not need the rule at all...
Steve Liddle
Super Collector

Thanks Ruth. I see what you are saying about triggering a rule by using a special value for a one off update. Very clever :-)
Ryan Jenkins
Regular Collector

Yet another option is to the the API and create a script to grab the IPerson item from the Caller field and populate the Requestor with this data.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event