Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Application Server service does not start up after reboot (ORACLE)

Highlighted
sduser
Regular Contributor.

Application Server service does not start up after reboot (ORACLE)

I have Service Desk running with Oracle 9.2.0.4 on Windows 2003. When the server reboots the application server service fails to start or it starts and stops. I can manually start it with no issues but this gets annoying when the computer restarts. Anyways, I did some searching on this board and found an issue similar to this with MSSQL and having to edit the registry to get the application server service dependent on the SQL service. My question is... How do I do this for ORACLE - does anyone have a link for this or another ITRC article that I am missing?

Thanks for help.
10 REPLIES
Ganesha Sridhar
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Application Server service does not start up after reboot (ORACLE)

Hello,

The following link may help you:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;193888

The steps are:
1. Identify the Oracle Service name (for OVSD DB).
2. Modify the OVSD Application Server Service accordingly using steps given in the above URL.

Note: Please read instruction carefully and use.

HTH

Regards
Ganesha Sridhara
sduser
Regular Contributor.

Hey Thanks for reply.

I have set this before for SQL which works fine. But in oracle there are multiple dependent service like listener, http server etc.

i tried with oracle service name for OVSD but it did'nt work.

Any other workaround please.
Saurabh Dubey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

You can try the raw method of retry. Max. reties if Service Start Fails, set it to 3 with a gap of 5 minutes between them.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
sduser
Regular Contributor.

i wish i could be lucky one. but yeah i tried and still the same thing. using the recovery option i set the time 5 min. but service did'nt start.

pls. help to get out from this problem.
Saurabh Dubey
Acclaimed Contributor.

HI,

I am not an expert when it comes to creating Windows Services, but just a thought here..

Can you define an external perl script to check whether the Oracle Service is completely up and running and ready to use, and then execute the "net start" command to start the sd server service.

The perl script or for that matter a java code can be run to keep checking whether the service is up and only when it's up the service will be started.

You can either run this script as a startup script, or as a first recovery after the service start fails in services.msc.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
sduser
Regular Contributor.

Hi All,

Any help on this topic is highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Gyula Matics_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

The recovery option will not work, because the sd service does not sends back failure codes. It looks like to windows it was shut down by request, not by failure.
Saurabh Dubey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

In light of what Gyula said, I suggest you put the external applet to check and run the service in the startup.

Regards,

Saurabh
Gyula Matics_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

You can run this simple batch file from Task Scheduler every 5 minutes to start up sd service.

net start | find "hp OpenView service desk 4.5 server"
if errorlevel 1 net start "hp OpenView service desk 4.5 server"
sduser
Regular Contributor.

Thanks Gualya,

Solutiom works fine but do you reckon that its going to run the batch file in every 5 mins and might effect the performance of server/application or not.

Could we make it run only at start up.