Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Anyone know how to monitor license useage in SD 5.1?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Chris Terzian
Trusted Contributor.

Anyone know how to monitor license useage in SD 5.1?

I'm trying to find an easy way to monitor license useage in SD 5.1. If there is some view or something that can created that can be refreshed, that would be great. We have the license consumption bug and don't want to go to SP2 yet. The hot fix killed one of our servers so we're not using that and just want to monitor licenses so we can restart service if necessary to release them.
5 REPLIES
jconsola20
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

Re: Anyone know how to monitor license useage in SD 5.1?

In the Administrators console under security, audit, select logged on users. That will show you who is logged on and using a license.
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Chris,

I would recommend you ask if HP can let you have some temporary concurrent licenses to see you though until you can apply the SP

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Chris,

I feel your pain! I ended up just building a Crystal Report against the rep_sessions table that counted only unique account names.

-= DO NOT APPLY THE LICENSING HOTFIX!! =-

That hotfix killed our Object Server Agent and a week later we found out critical work orders in our New Hire / Termination process didn't fire. NIGHTMARE!

Secondly, if you ask for the temporary extended license make double and triple sure its a decent amount before you apply it. Our license duplication was so severe they gave us 1000... except they didn't give us 1000... it was actually for 50. Took them the better part of a week to fix the mistake, but in the meantime we maxed the capacity and half my people couldn't log in. NIGHTMARE!!
Chris Terzian
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks Ruth and my fellow SD 5.1 victim. Thank god we applied this to our 'prod' server before go-live. I had to reinstall the entire OS and install and configure 5.1 without the patch. We're in the process of getting temp licenses.

How many staff users do you have? We have around 500, so trying to determine how many licenses they need to give us.

thanks!
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Hey Chris,

Just thought I'd update you. SP3 finally (5 months later) fixes most of the license counting issues. We can now accurately monitor license usage using the Logged On Users view under Users & Security.

To answer your question, we have about 500 users as well. We'd normally have about 300 but because Service Pages is so abysmally useless, we had to fork over a zillion extra dollars to make sure our provisioning folks had license to create tickets.