Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Any way to Remove the need for MS VM for HPSD 4.5?

Highlighted
Marty Brown_1
Super Contributor.

Any way to Remove the need for MS VM for HPSD 4.5?

Hi All:

We are currently running HPSD 4.5 SP18. Our Desktop Support folks have reminded us that Microsoft support for their MS Java VM Virtual Machine component sunsets at the end of this year (12/31/2007).

We were not contemplating upgrading to HPSD 5.x at all, and prefer to stay at our current level until Service Manager 7.x becomes available and we've built an upgrade strategy, etc.

Does anybody know if there are any plans from HP to remove HPSD 4.5's reliance on the MS VM? Is there a future service pack contemplated, etc that would get us past this?

Our Desktop group realizes that the MS VM can co-exist on a client PC with other versions of SUN Java which are required for other apps that our company runs, but as time progresses, the need to preserve the MS VM as part of their build is only going to become a bigger albatross.

Given the reality that HPSD 4.5 will be sunsetting too, I bet I know the answer, but I thought I'd ask nonetheless.

Any thoughts, comments, or hopefully any News on ways to basically 'stay put' on HPSD 4.5 for but still not need the MS VM anymore?

Thanks!

~Marty
8 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Any way to Remove the need for MS VM for HPSD 4.5?

Hi,

there is an SP or patch/install due out in November I think ( any later and its nearly too late) which is to provide a new UI for the client that is not dependant on MSVM.

I am not sure what the SP requirements are at the server / DB level. Maybe contact your HP rep for more details if you have one or a support contract.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Marty Brown_1
Super Contributor.

Thanks Mark! Some points R coming your way...

Clarification: We don't currently use the Web Console. We use the HPSD Fat Client. My question about the VM reliance deals with the Client/User Workstation side, not the server side (although it's good to know that the Server/Web Console is getting a patch to address this).

Thanks!
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

to clarify this is about a new web UI that will replace the current fat client (VM Client).

I believe that a new web style client is needed as the web console does not have enough of the functionality as the java client so just asking users to move to the webconsole was not a valid option.

We should be seeing a new web based UI for the client and potentially one for the admin console (but the Client UI is due first).
Marty Brown_1
Super Contributor.

Thanks for the clarification, Mark!
Jay Mistry
Outstanding Contributor.

Marty/Mark

I am also aware that the MS VM comes to EOF at the end of Dec, Like Mark has mentioned HP are releasing a Web UI to replace the fat client and the dependance on the VM.
I think the new UI is due for release at the end of Oct/early Nov. You will need to upgrade to SP23 or above to be able to use the new UI so maybe you want to start thinking about upgrading in the near future, but make sure you have a thorough test plan to test all your functionality and any integrations with other applications.

HP have said that the new web UI will have 99% of the functionality of the GUI client. what the missing 1% is nobody knows.

Jay
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Just a thought.

That 1 percent maybe an important 1 percent, though I hope not.
Alok Shrotri
Honored Contributor.

Last time when I heard, End User Client will be available from 31st Oct 2007 and Admin Client will be available from 31st Jan 2008. This is compatible with SP23 and higher.

However, HP will continue to support Java Client but will not fix anything for which MS JVM is the root cause.