Adding a restriction to possible Generic Relationships

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Scott Slater
Super Collector

Adding a restriction to possible Generic Relationships

Good Afternoon all,

I have a need to create a One-to-Many relationship between Persons and Organizations. In perusing the forums and looking through my Docs, it seem that the Generic Relation functionality is a good match for my needs, but I need to be able to take the "From" Person and Limit the Organizations that the relation can be made to based on the org that person belongs to.

For Example:

Person A is associated with SubOrg 1 in Organization 1. I also need to be able to associate him with SubOrg2 and SubOrg5. This is pretty easy. However, there is a concern that the User doing the data entry might accidentally associate Person A with a SubOrg in Organization 2.

It's easy to write the procedure with all kinds of warnings to double and triple check, but, if it is possible it will happen, so I am trying to eliminate the possibility.

Unfortunately, I don't see any place I can put constraints on the "To" field and the only other option I have seen would be to change the parameters of the "To Of Generic Relation" Advanced Find (See Screenshot)but am not having any luck with that either.

Any thoughts from folks that might have solved similar problems would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding a restriction to possible Generic Relationships

Hello Scott,

Use limit range based on generic relations on UI rules. The idea is once you have created a generic relation between person and organizations, you can limit the value of the organizations once a person is entered, by using this very generic relation.
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ooops, it just occured to me that you actually want to limit the range of the generic relation not an organization field based on a poerson. I'm not sure that this can be done.
menes fhtagn
Scott Slater
Super Collector

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this one.

As stated above, this does not appear to be possible.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event