Adding History Lines from DB or UI Rules

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
James Mohr

Adding History Lines from DB or UI Rules

Hi All!

We have OVSD 4.5 SP16.

We need an easy way to keep track of all email communication for our service calls. The content of all incoming mail can be sent into the history using the email filters. However, I cannot find an easy way to add a history line for outgoing email. Also the process of having to start a web browser in order to send an email from the service desk is just plain stupid. (Sorry, if I offended anyone)

What I thought of was a field that contained the body of an email message and when the call is saved, a DB rule sends out an email with the contents of this field as the email body. In principle, I could audit this field and have it generate a history line. However, what appears is an entry where the subject is like

"Field changed from 'XXX' to 'YYY'"

But the Information field is empty. This records the outbound message but looks goofy and I don't think my boss would be happy with that. What I would like is something where the Subject is like "Email sent to customer" and the Information field contains the text of the email.

I thought of a really round-about way by creating a DB rule that sends an email which triggers the
"Add History line" email template. This seems to be really long way around to solve the problem, but should work.

Starting a service desk agent on one of the app servers and doing a direct DB insert is another potential solution or maybe using the Java API to do the same thing. However, something built in would be a happy thing.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

regards,

jimmo
www.linux-tutorial.info
8 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Adding History Lines from DB or UI Rules

Hello James,

You should consider upgrading to SP19. This functionality is build in.

But if you can't/don't want to upgrade to SP19 the only way to add history line is using sd_event
menes fhtagn
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

We have done exactly as you describe with an "Email to Caller" field and this field is Audited. A business rule sends the contents to the Caller and then it sets the empty ready for next time.

The Auditing puts this in the History but you can't see the whole email on the subject line - it gets truncated. But you can customise the History form (see attachment) in Presentation, History Line Service Call.

Also what is nice to do is to customise the History Line view and make lines that have EMAIL in the subject another colour. We have light grey for system stuff and red for "Email" so emails in and out are red then manual entries in green.

Cheers (We are 4.5, SP15)

PS: and we have a FYI field that when you put other email addresses in those addresses also get the email.
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

Oh I forgot to mention the critical bit (although the attachment does show it). The "New Value" Field in the History form has what you need.

Cheers
James Mohr

Wow! That seems to be the ticket. It would be nice if the message text was in either the Information field or the New Value field. With incoming mail it's in the information field.

BTW are we stuck with updating email with only the text "Update ID" or is there something else we can do? For example:

"Service Call Update 12345"

I tried with

"Update Service Call 12345"

and that seemed to work. However, let's say someone opens a call by email and gets a reply with the subject

"Update Service Call 12345"

When they press "reply" the subject becomes

"RE: Update Service Call 12345"

This is no longer recognized as an update and a new call is opened. My boss says that asking the customer is to change the subject is too much work. I know of other help desk products that are not as picky as OVSD seems to be.
www.linux-tutorial.info
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

I think I understand the question - forgive me if I don't.

You want to ensure that all emails to Callers have a Subject such that when they click reply it will match onto an "Email Command" (system Panel, email). In our case it is always DoE Service Call {id}

We have changed the RFI command and have subject as "Re: DoE Service Call " and when people hit reply it will match the command exactly with the ID on the end. The command puts it in the history and changes the status to Customer Update and a DB rule fires an email to the assignee informing them that there has been a customer update.

You can use commands like Update {id} and in the body you can put in fields and Values - we have an automated web page use this but otherwise we don't really use it.

If you email "Help" by itself in the subject to OVSD it will give you a list of the commands.

Hope that helps.
James Mohr

Forgive you, David???? I wanna have your baby! I have learned more about email and SD in the last few days than in the last few years. We have been using OVSD for 6 years and I have never had that chance to investigate and I am wetting myself now because I am finally getting the chance to do it.

I have talked to my team leader and we are looking at canibalizing the "solution accepted" and "solution rejected" commands. We have the situation were the customer could reply using an English or German email client, so the reply could start with either "RE:" or "AW:" (Anwort=Reply). However, the process would be the same. What would be really cool is if you could create any number of commands you wanted, as well as put the Call ID anywhere on the line, i.e using a variable. (or am I missing something).

The only problem I forsee in this is the fact you seem to have to have a field to update. That is without "FIELD=", the update is not accepted. I simply want to plug in *all* of the email body into the history. Granted, you could include something: like this:

Delete eveything above this line
---------------------
SomeUnusedField=OK

And that would update an unused field that no one cares about and the rest would be plugged into the history.

Another thing we were thinking about was specific field that is updated and then a DB rule that appends the answer onto a 4K field or something so that all email is in a single field. However, having it all in the history is already a good thing.
www.linux-tutorial.info
James Mohr

How do you clear the "Email to Caller" field?

I set up a rule that sends mail from a specified field and then clears it. That works fine. However, since the field is audited, a history line is generated that says "Email has been cleared." Is there anyway of getting rid of that?
www.linux-tutorial.info
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

How do you clear the email to caller field without it going into the History? Sorry you can't - you have to live with it - you might be able to get the first of the 2 Audit lines to be Red and the second to be grey like the other system messages. Note when doing these conditional formats the order is important. See attachment.

Yes the ID must be on the end of the line for the incoming email command to work. This means that the outgoing emails subjects must be consistent and must only have one field in the subject line - the Id.

Can you have more of these commands - No, you are limited to the number of commands that HP provide.

Note I don't think you would be getting your average client to use the Update command - this is more intended for Support staff on the run, automated scripts etc. So the clients are really just limited to replying and this can just add a history line and a update the status - end of story.

Some power users might like the List or view command, but if you have Service Pages running maybe not?

As for the offer of Babies - no offence but the points will suffice.

Note also that you can have multiple incoming email addresses for Multiple Identities. This doesn't do much more than give you the chance to use different templates. This can be useful for automation - ie a web form request might email the request into OVSD on a different incoming email and create a call with a different template that initiates some automation.

Cheers

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event