Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Ability to freeze the deadline field in Service Desk

Highlighted
John Cook Vocal
Super Contributor.

Ability to freeze the deadline field in Service Desk

Hi,

I am the Service Desk administrator for VocaLink. We use version 4.5 with service pack 23.

Can I ask if anyone has experience with stopping the clock with regards to Deadlines?

Currently we configure Priorities based on our SLA matrix, send warnings (email alerts based on DB rules) when a service call approaches the deadline and when the Service Call breaches the deadline. We don't stop the clock.

We now have a requirement to support a service that will only be supported during the hours of 0800 to 1800 therefore I need to get the deadline field to interpret out of hours!

Regards
John
9 REPLIES
Err_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Ability to freeze the deadline field in Service Desk

Hi John,

I believe that you need to specify the option to use support hours for service levels.

With this option you can specify office hours for the service level, or a series of arbitrary support periods throughout the week, and deadline will be calculated based on the hours of the day and week when support is given to a service (e.g. 0800 to 1800).

From the online help you can read:
To specify support hours for service levels:
1. Open the service level agreement to edit the service level.
2. Use the Service Level lookup item button to choose an existing service level. Click New to create a new service level, or click Open to edit a currently selected service level.
3. In the Service Level form, find the tab page with the support hours list.
4. To add a new support period, click Add below the support hours list.
5. To edit a support period, highlight it in the support hours list, then click Modify.
6. In the support hours dialog, specify the start and finish time of the support.
6.1 To specify the start, select a day of the week from the Weekday list and select a starting hour from the list in the From line.
6.1 To specify the end, select a day of the week from the Weekday list and select a starting hour from the list in the To line.

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Support hours is a standard feature in Service Levels. The Deadline field respects the support hours as long as they are correctly specified.

There are several posts on the 'freezing' time subject in the forums. Search for 'stop clock'.
John Cook Vocal
Super Contributor.

Thankyou for your help. I had already added a new Service Level (0800 - 1800). This seems to be correct however if I open a new service call select a Service it doesn't amend the deadline as expected. Any thoughts?

John
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Without honoring the forums' point system, hardly any users will feel particularly motivated to spend time to help resolve other people's problems.

That said, it would seem as if your SLA - Service Level - Service setup needs to be correctly configured.

Good luck!
John Cook Vocal
Super Contributor.

Pike,

Not sure how I have configured the SLA incorrectly. It follows the suggestion as provide. I guess it could possibly conflict with a DB or UI rule?

With regards to the points I genuinely believed I had updated the points the last time I logged on. Obviously I hadn't updated points or something equally simple that I forgot to do. Points have now been successfully updated!
John Cook Vocal
Super Contributor.

Issue resolved the SLA was configured correctly, however I didn't match the SLA against the parent field only against specific child services. Once I rectified this the issue was resolved.

Err if you can respond to this message I will give you the additional points to show your message fully resolved my issue

Thanks
John
Err_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi John,

I am glad to hear that you were able to resolve the issue =)

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
John Cook Vocal
Super Contributor.

Thanks Err
John Cook Vocal
Super Contributor.

Successful solution provided by Err

Thanks