Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

2009 Problem with Banner.exe SD4.5 SP15

Highlighted
Erika Gris
Frequent Contributor.

2009 Problem with Banner.exe SD4.5 SP15

Hello,

Let me introduce my problem, the banner display is not coming to the client machine. (it was working however i recieved on Monday the user complaint so i don't know when started this!)

The user's log file has the follow line:
Thu, 26/03/2009 09:09:24 Error executing commandline {[C:\Program],[Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\Service],[Desk],[4.5\Agent\bin\Banner.exe],[Llamada],[de],[Usuario],[VIP,],[Favor],[de],[atender],[con],[la],[debida],[prioridad],[y],[seguir],[el],[procedimiento],[correspondiente]} : java.io.IOException: CreateProcess

I have followed all forum resolutions associated to this topic however the banner display not come to the client machine.

Firewall was disable, DNS works correctly, etc.. if i modified the command line adding the IP hostserver the banner appears so, i'm searching an expert suggestion or comments.

Best Regards
Erika Gris
Monterrey, Mexico
10 REPLIES
RFann
Regular Contributor.

Re: 2009 Problem with Banner.exe SD4.5 SP15

I think you need to start your with a color designation. I use banners and always start with /Color. You can use several like red, yellow, blue, white, black but I always start with something Here is an example of my string in the Parameters box:

/yellow This is the Management Notification system for Service Call[Number].

Hope this helps
Erika Gris
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks a lot for your time! The situation is tne same, banner doesn't appear ... i applied your recommendation.

If i use this line \\hostserver\c$\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\OpenView\SERVIC~1.5\Agent\bin\Banner.exe the banner WORKS!!!

My problem now, what server must be there?, our system use four servers on balanced solution that means the user_host not is equal to the host assigned so i can put at least one?? of them but i don't know if this affected the application performance.

Best Regards!

Gurevich
Super Contributor.

try line c:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\OpenView\SERVIC~1.5\Agent\bin\Banner.exe

Why do you use symbols "[" and "]"?

Also, run on client PC command line "c:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\OpenView\SERVIC~1.5\Agent\bin\Banner.exe" (just from start - Run, without SD).
"java.io.IOException: CreateProcess" looks like executable file is missing (I had similar error, when antivirus software deleted file %windoswdir%\system32\jview.exe).
RFann
Regular Contributor.

The Banner.exe must be installed on the client machine for the banner to work. Using \\serverhost\c$ indicates you are pulling the banner.exe from the server. Copy the banner.exe to the client workstation and try it again.

Also please verify the agent service is running on the client machine. For the banner to work you must have the HP Agent Service installed and running along with any exectuable you want to run.

Regards
Erika Gris
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks,

1.- I replaced the line but it still no work ... "[" / "]" are used to insert the fields to show on user' message.

2.- I found "jview.exe" in local machine also in the server. The version of them is different so it can affect? i guess no because it was working .... magically it lost the power to appear the message!! why??

I have talked with the server team and nothing was modified or upgrade so is the same answer from Field service Team about PC's ..

I'd really appreciate your support.
Alexander Kriku
Honored Contributor.

hi

make sure that the file C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\agent\bin\BANNER.EXE exists on user's PC.

also check the account, under which the agent service starts on user's PC: it should be "local system account".
the checkbox "allow service to interact with desktop" should be enabled.

Venkatesha_1
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

The Agent service on the client machine should be UP and running and the option interact with desktop should be enabled.

Try restarting the Agent Service on the client m/c.

Regards
Venky
RFann
Regular Contributor.

I have looked at your rule again and realized you are running a UI rule. This means the rule is only executed on the client machine. So the Agent, Service and Server configuration has no bearing on this rule. All you should need to do is verify the Banner.exe is actually located on the C: drive of the client machine at the location specified in the rule. I can not see the full path on the screen shot but I see it starts C:\Progam Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\Service... Also verify the user on the client machine has the rights to run the Banner. You could simply open a command line prompt and try to run the banner.exe command to verify it works. If you run the banner without any perameters it will still work but only be a flashing yellow bar. I copied the banner.exe to the root of C: and it worked there as well.

If that is all working properly then the issue may be in your rule. I created a rule on my test machine without the Agent Service running and it worked fine I used the department of the caller since I do not have job title and am not sure what your field Pool refers to but it worked as soon as I entered a caller with that department. You might start with only one perameter like Job Title and see if that works then add the second.

Hope this helps,

Regards
Erika Gris
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks for your reply,

I have verified some equipments, the agent folders appers in some so ... thanks!!

I'll notify to re-install HPOV client software.

Best Regards!
Erika Gris
Frequent Contributor.

Agent folder dissapear from client machine, software must be install.