Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

txt Attachment opens as html

Highlighted
Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

txt Attachment opens as html

Only a couple of our users are experiecing a situation where whenever they click on an attachment in a request it opens as HTML page instead of opening in original file format e.g. word or notepad.
I think I had experienced a similar experience a couple of years ago but I just forgot how I fixed it then :-(
Can anyone of you please help me solve this issue for us ?
Thanks in advance.
-Raj
7 REPLIES
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: txt Attachment opens as html

Associating an application with a file type is a function of the OS. You can find a discussion of this subject for Windows at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749986.aspx. These users just need to change the application associated with txt files to Notepad or Word.
Vibhor Dwivedi
Super Contributor.

Exactly issue seems to be related with OS.Every file type is associated with a application type.

That can be changed from properties of particular file type.
Vibhor Dwivedi
Super Contributor.

Need to click on "change" on properties page in front of "opens with" field.
Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

Not sure that is the exact case here becasue users have no issues when trying to open any kind of files from their computer. Its just the attachements in PPM Requests which alwasys opens in html window for them.
As a workaround they are very easily able to save these files and them re-open them from their desktop without any issues.
-Raj
sradtke
Super Contributor.

Hi Raj,

i also have some users, which are not able to open documents in ppm. They only get the dialog box, which shows them the "Save" and "Cancel" buttons. PPM doesn't know the file type and named it "Unknow file type." But when you click the detail page for the attachment field, then ppm shows you the correct file name and the dialog box shows you the known three options (Open / Save / Cancel). We checked the file type properties of the affected user in the windows explorer. All file types were listed and have the option "OPEN".
Does anyone has an idea, where we have to change something?

Regards
Sascha
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

Did you check the IE security settings for the zone the PPM system is in? Verify the settings in the downloads settings make sense and maybe that "Anwendungen und unsicher Dateien starten" is set to "Bestätigen" too.
Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

Sorry, we were not completely able to identify our user's issue/solution. It very much seemed like browser settings issue as it was only happening in IE and only while using his Own computer. He has now been using FireFox 5.0 since without any issues. May be the browser uninstall and re-install would help, although it didn't help in my case.
-Raj