Did you mean: 

resource management

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

resource management

Wanted to see how others might be managing this scenario: If a project manager removes demand hours from a position, how is the resource manager supposed to know that he needs to reduce committed hours accordingly?

10 REPLIES
dirkf
Honored Contributor

Re: resource management

Hi Eric,

so you have a postion where you requested 24h and the resource manager allocated a resource to this position with the requested demand. Thus, no unmet demand. PM then goes into the position and says 'naaaah, I only need 12h for this position' and you remove 12h. Thus, now position shows overallocation ... (12) in red. Right?

I don't think that there's any direct notification about the change. I can only see it in Resource Pool -> Resource Load Breakdown -> Assignment Details, then open the Staffing Profile and there I see it.

Not sure if it CAN be handled other than that.

Best regards,

Dirk

Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Hi Dirk,

Yes, that's what's happenning. The problem isn't so much that there isn't any notification, it's that there is no way (portlet, etc) that a resource manager can find out if these situations exist other than looking at each line in each staffing profile.

Assignment Details will tell you if a resource is over-allocated to his capacity, but a resource can be under capacity and still over-booked (allocation > demand)...no way to know that.

Maybe it's ER time, but it seems like this would be a regular occurance with anyone using resource management.

dirkf
Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

thanks. I see your point.

I'd log a case and have this investigated to see if it's supposed to be this way (design) or a high-prio limitation that needs fixing. Thus, have it investigated.

The worst scenario is that it's per design, but maybe RnD have some workaround that I didn't think of so far.

Let me know if you log something and update this thread with the ID. I'd be interested in that :-)

Take care and have a great weekend.

Best regards,

Dirk

Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Hi Dirk,

I do have a case open...4644836201...but I'm not sure they're understanding what I'm asking. The other part is that I would swear that these showed in the resource requests portlet before. Do you (or anyone else) have an instance that is  9.14.0003 or earlier? If so, do lines show in the portlet that have a negative total unmet demand?

(This is the second time I've wanted to verify if some feature I *thought* I remembered was regressed. Typically, PROD is the last environment I upgrade but now I'll be hanging on to another "prior version" one for testing...lesson learned...)

dirkf
Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

I have a VM host with snapshots for any PPM version since 7.5 naked and up to 9.21. If you give me the scenario, I'll make sure I can fit in the time.

As far as I'm aware in general terms:

Create Project;

Create Staffing Profile;

Add positions with for instance demand for 160h for a quarter;

Allocate Resources to meet demand;

Use some (which.. ootb?) portlet to show that for the project demand is met;

Lower met demand by say 40h for the resource;

Check portlet again.

Something like that?

I could then check against a version that you think the issue is regressing against.

BR,

Dirk

Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Dirk...exactly, except I don't think you really need the project.

1. Create staffing profile
  2. Add a position for 100 hrs; send resource request
  3. Add OOTB "Resource Request Portlet"; filter on that staffing profile; you should see the request
  4. Allocate Resource to fulfill demand
  5. Go back to position and change 100 hrs to 50 hrs; this makes (50) unmet demand
  6. Look at the portlet again...does the line show up?

We skipped from 9.14.0003 to 9.14.0005 and I'm pretty sure we were seeing these in pl3's resource request portlet (OOTB one).

After you remove some of the demand, the status will still be "Fulfilled" but the total demand should be negative.

Thanks for your time!

[Side note...if the position was originally Soft Booked, instead of Committed, then when the PM backs off the forecast he gets the Send Resource Requests button active so at least he can generate an email to the resource manager. But if the position was Committed, this option doesn't become available.]

dirkf
Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

yeah, I can reproduce it.

Test on 9.14.0002 shows what you've updated in the case but not here (tststs), that the portlet shows zero und negative unmet demand on that version, but in 9.14.0005 it shows only positive unmet demand.

I didn't find any optional changes in the preferences that would remedy that.

Check document for visualization.

I see that you haven't updated the ticket with PPM-Support since May 22 (tststsv2) either :-)

I have checked the knowledge-base and didn't find anything that would point to a change in behaviour but then I didn't go through the hotfixes relnotes to check.

Since you have a 9x5 SLA and I'm not in your region I will not update the case.

You can use my document to update Randall and point him to me for any open ends but basically he should open up an incident with RnD to reguest the information on where the 'Resource Request List' portlet was changed in the hotfix sets and why now no longer zero or negative unmet demand for STaffing Profile requests is shown any longer.

Again, if you want, you can tell him about me.

Suggest we close this thread then. :-)

Hope I was able to help.

Best regards,

Dirk

dirkf
Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

Having just updated you, it is outdated already.

I checked the RelNotes for the hotfix sets and found the culprit.

In a nutshell the issue is:

In 9.14.0002 the Resource Request portlet shows the column 'total unmet demand' with Staffing Profiles where the column value is zero or negative.

Zero: All demand met

Sub-zero: Overallocation.

In 9.14.0005 this no longer shows.

Bit of investigation reveals that this is in fact not a feature but a defect, logged for 7.5 SP 6, that was then fixed in QCCR1L49093 (9.14.0005) and QCCR1L24940 (9.20).

Check the attached RelNotes on page 10 and if you need another reference, check also the customer-visible link on Self Solve Online:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/FID/DOCUMENTUM_QCCR1L24940

Sorry but there you go.

Please mark this string as solved. Kudo appreciated if you want to give.

Take care and best regards,

Dirk

Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Hi Dirk,

Thanks again for looking at this. If I read you right, the problem is caused by that fix in pl5? I updated my support case...that issue refers to the portlet showing rows with 0 Unmet Demand. I'd like to suggest that the fix should be to only filter out 0 Unmet Demand rows, and not also negative Unmet Demand rows. As a resource manager, negative unmet demand means I need to adjust allocation just as much as positive unmet demand does.

Thanks again!

dirkf
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Eric,

cool stuff - yeah, SP 5 fixes the customer defect reported. That negative demand can now also be no longer shown might then be a regression if they will consider 'just' MET demand to be a defect.

I'M sure you have good chances in that case 'coz it would need to be considered a regresssion in 0005.

Wish you the best of luck.

Maybe we can solve the thread with that :-)

Have a great weekend.

Best regards,

Dirk

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event