Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

requests type rules not fire

Highlighted
Cris Robin
Respected Contributor.

requests type rules not fire

When I create new request, it been assigned with default workflow. If I create a request from a request step, the new request will get the parent request workflow.
I also think that non of the on creation rules being fired.

I am using ppm 7.1.0 SP8.
Nothing have change in the system for a long time but it started acting funny a week ago.

Please advice
4 REPLIES
Rich Y_1
Super Contributor.

Re: requests type rules not fire

Cris,

You could have one of these causes.  

1. You have one or more rules with the flag process subsequent rules to No.  

2. If you have no rules like #1 then one or more of your rules are failing.  I would suggest if possible to disable the rules and only turn on a few at a time and run a test to see which one/s are failing once you know which one it is then fix that one and you should be fine.

Good Luck

Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.

Cris,

When you are creating a request from within a workflow, it is probably utilizing the copy functionality, so that your data will transfer over.  In these scenarios, the On Create trigger do not fire.  Newer versions of PPM offer an On Copy trigger so that you can fire Rules in such a scenario. 

However, if you are using the ksc_copy_request command, you can override the request type and workflow that is assigned to the Request when it gets "copied" so that you can control the workflow used that way.

In either case, I would still highly recommned trying to pursue an upgrade to the latest verison of PPM.  Your version has gone out of support and there are many new features available in the new versions.

Jason

Cris Robin
Respected Contributor.

Sorry but I was not able to access my acount.

Thank you for the replay, but it is something to do with the system and not with the request.

As far as I can see, Non of the rules fire up.

When I use new request on any of the other requests, the default workflow "Bug request" fire up. When I use a copy request, the parent workflow is connected, but no other rules run.

Please advice

Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.

Cris,

The Bug Request workflow is the default workflow that PPM uses if another one is not set explicitly through a Rule or default value of the Workflow field.  Since Rules are JavaScript based, if there is an error in one Rule, the other Rules will not fire because JavaScript has stopped because of the error.  At this point, I would suggest that you disable all of the Rules on the Request Type and just enable the Workflow Rule to see if that works.  If that does work, then re-enable each Rule, one at a time, until you find the Rule that is causing the failure.  Then you will have a starting point for what needs to be fixed so that all Rules work all the time.

Jason