cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Create Project" Execution Step Failing

Highlighted
EngPlan

"Create Project" Execution Step Failing

Wow, when it rains, it pours.  Fixed on problem earlier today and ran right smack into another. 

I have a workflow that calls for a step to create a project if a button is clicked.  It broke somewhere and I am unable to chenge the execution step to see if that is the issue.  I get this:

"Cannot save changes to database since this execution is now in use.  Referenced to this execution will need to be removed befor these modifications can be made. (KWFL-30100)"

I think this tells me that  since this step has already been passed in one or more request types, I cannot change the execution workflow step.  Am I correct?  If so, can someone provide an easy way to query the db and find the associated requests?

8 REPLIES
Celil
Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Create Project" Execution Step Failing

Hi engplan,

I think your answer is that table:

KWFL_STEP_TRANSACTIONS
There is one row in the KWFL_STEP_TRANSACTIONS table for each time
that a step in a workflow is visited. This row contains the unique data for the
step transaction, and denormalized context data for quicker querying.

INSTANCE_SOURCE_TYPE_CODE: identifies whether the type of the entity using the workflow. Choices are "CR", "DIST", "IR", "REPORT", and "WORKFLOW" as specified by the lookup WF_INSTANCE_SOURCE_TYPE.

INSTANCE_SOURCE_SET_ID: identifies the ID of the entity to which this step transaction belongs. This is a foreign key into KDLV_PACKAGES, KREL_DISTRIBUTIONS, KCRT_REQUESTS, KNTA_REPORT_SUBMISSIONS, or KWFL_STEP_TRANSACTIONS.

INSTANCE_SOURCE_ID: identifies the ID of the detail entity using the workflow. In the case of "IR", "DIST", "PI", "REPORT" and "WORKFLOW", the value in this column is identical to that
in INSTANCE_SOURCE_SET_ID.

WORKFLOW_ID: identifies the workflow that is being run.

WORKFLOW_STEP_ID: identifies the step in the workflow to which this transaction belongs.

CONCURRENT_REQUEST_ID: identifies the concurrent request (if any) that was spawned by this step transaction.

PS: If you glad to my answer please KUDOS me.

Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
EngPlan

Thanks Celil.  I have narrowed it down to two (2) requests.  Now the question is how do I clear them?

Celil
Esteemed Contributor

Delete them :D

Actually you ask me how can I find them but the formal solution of the issue is; separate the old workflow step and add new workflow step. Do not delete old one, it's must be stay there.

The informal way is what you are trying. Find related request and delete them from admin front-end: Open requests and click delete request button at the right up side.

What is difference between formal and informal? If you get lose data (request data) it's mean informal.

So what you want to do now ?

PS: Please keep alive our forum via KUDOS the professionals
Celil

& PPM Solution Architect
EngPlan

Personally, I'd rather delete them, but I know that is not the correct answer.  My problem is, whenever I attempt to dis-connect the step in the workflow and then attempt to create another with a corrected execution step, I still get an error (see attachment).  So, maybe the answer is to delete them, but I don't like that "informal" way of doing business....

Celil
Esteemed Contributor

Interesting. Depend on my experience untill you don't change step configuration, PPM don't warn you. Even if you don't change anything in step entity, PPM throw error, it's interesting.

In this case you can follow the informal way.
Celil

& PPM Solution Architect
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

It sounds like you might have a request currently on that execution step, probably in a failed state waiting for some kind of resolution. You may need to manually over-ride it to failed or something to move it to another step. Then you should be able to remove the transitions, disable the step, and replace it with another one. You won't be able to completely delete it unless you delete any requests that transitioned it.

EngPlan

Good thought, but I actually went into PPM this morning, deleted the two associated requests and I am still unable to re-create the workflow step because of the error. 

But, on that note...howwould I get it 'off' that execution step?

I have opened a Support ticket, since I have tried all of the suggestions here and nothing seems to be working.  Thanks.

ChristineK
Super Collector

I am having the exact same problem as EngPlan.

I am currently trying to configure a new workflow in my test environment.  I have created a proposal that later created a project.  I cancelled the project (does not give opinion to delete) and I cancelled the proposal.  Because the proposal and project still exist...Although cancelled, I am getting the error.

I tried to copy the workflow to create another one but I am getting the same error.  I don't know how to get past this.  Is there a way to delete the records in the database?

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event