Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

make staffing profiles dependent with project workflow

Highlighted
Ramazan1
Super Contributor.

make staffing profiles dependent with project workflow

Hi,

I have a curious issue. My IT PMO wants the staffing profiles to be editable till the attached projects has reached a defined workflow status. When the defined project workflow status has been reached, the staffing profile should only be editable by the IT PMO (this could be security group or some resources). This also means, that the staffing profiles should be read only for the other "resources"

Maybe it is clarified with an example:

We have e.g. 6 Project Workflow statuses

1- Prj. Start

2- SRS accepted

3- Implementation

4-Testing

5-Rollout

6-Completed

At the beginning you create the project (Status 1) and request resources in the concerning Staffing profile. Then SRS is written and accepted (Status 2). After this status the Staffing Profile should be editable by the IT PMO. So adding or deleting resource requests in the staffing profile should be done by IT PMO. Is this possible? Make staffing profiles dependent with project workflow?

Regards,

Ramazan

4 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: make staffing profiles dependent with project workflow

Wouldn't this normally be limited to the project's manager, unless you've given everyone the Edit All Staffing Profiles access grant?

Ramazan1
Super Contributor.

Hello Erik,

that means, when I give the IT PMO Team the Access Grant "Edit All Staffing Profiles", then only the Project Manager and the IT PMO Team can edit the Staffing Profile of a Project, but the IT PMO Team can Edit All SPs.

When I have understood the communication between Projects and Staffing Profiles (SP) correctly:

Project is created. Project Manager (PM) creates a SP and connects with the Project. PM adds Positions and requests resources from Resource Pools (RP). The RP Managers assign resources. And now: the issue is, when I reach a certain project status only the IT PMO Team should be able to do something in the SP.

is this possible?

What about creating SP baselines?

Regards,

Ramazan

Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

If you mean you want to restrict the ability of the pool managers from modifying the allocations they made to the positions, then the only way I know to do that is to change the status of the staffing profile to "Lock Down", but that will lock it for everyone.

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi all,

sounds like a good and valid ER to me.

Go ahead and log a case with HP Support so this topic is visible for the Change Advisory Board.

Suggest that you use the following questionnaire to answer the questions and get the ticket logged.

1) Please provide a short problem statement:

2) When does the situation occur? Please describe an actual scenario from the
customer's current environment.

3) How is the situation currently handled or resolved? What work around is used
today?

4) What is unsatisfactory about the current situation and why?

5) What is the required functionality to meet that will enable the described
scenario?

6) What and how many users, administrators and non-PPM systems play a role in this use case?

Best regards,

Dirk