Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

ksc_move_request_workflow error

Highlighted
chateau_1
Trusted Contributor.

ksc_move_request_workflow error

I'm new to ksc_move_request_workflow command and not sure how to go about doing this since I've exhausted all my attempts.  Basically, I'm trying to automate the transition from Decision Step #3 to Decision Step #5.  In between these 2 steps, there are executions steps in between.  (see attachment)

I'm not sure how RESULT_VISIBLE_VALUE works, the manual says it's the "visible value of the desired result value for the workflow action".  If I use the actual target Decision Step name (Level 2 - Investigation and Diagnosis) or the step transition "Escalate to Level 2 Support" (i.e. arrow) to go from Decision Step #3 to Decision Step #5, I always get the error

Execution Logs for Batch 265259 | Request:311665

Generated Time=2016/04/29-11:56:00.291 EDT Could not understand the parameter to while parsing the command com.kintana.crt.server.KSCMoveRequestInWorkflow REQUEST_ID="[COPIED_REQUEST_ID]" FROM_WORKFLOW_STEP_SEQ="3" EVENT_NAME="FORCE_TRANSITION" RESULT_VISIBLE_VALUE="Escalate to Level 2" SCHEDULE_DATE="[SCHEDULE_DATE]" DELEGATE_TO_USER_ID="[DELEGATE_TO_USER_ID]" TO_WORKFLOW_STEP_SEQ="5"

If I use the "CODE" from the validation to go from Decision Step #3 - Decision Step #5, nothing happens, and the error in the KNTA_INTERFACE_ERRORS is as followed:

Workflow step is not eligible (Request number: 311662, ID: 311662, step name: , step sequence: 3).

The command I have is:

ksc_move_request_workflow REQUEST_ID="[COPIED_REQUEST_ID]" FROM_WORKFLOW_STEP_SEQ="3" EVENT_NAME="FORCE_TRANSITION" RESULT_VISIBLE_VALUE="ESCALATE_LEVEL_2" TO_WORKFLOW_STEP_SEQ="5"

Please advise.  I'm running out of ideas and the manual doesn't have any example on how to use this command so I'm stuck.

Thanks,

Catherine

3 REPLIES
Derek Giedd
Honored Contributor.

Re: ksc_move_request_workflow error

Make sure the user executing the move has access on the step security tab.  This will cause the error you saw in  theKNTA_INTERFACE_ERRORS table. 

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
chateau_1
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks Derek, I haven't rolled this out to any users yet, and I got this error as an admin. In every single step of any w/f, I always put in the admin group in the security tab for which I am in so I don't think this error is related to permission.

What am I supposed to put in the RESULT_VISIBLE_VALUE field?  Is it the "transition value" from the source w/f step or the target w/f step?

Derek Giedd
Honored Contributor.

This should be the text you want visible in the Status section of the request for the step you moved from.  It does not even need to be a status you have for the step.  

I have created a Move Request Type that allows me to move any request to a specific workflow step. For this I use the RESULT_VISIBLE_VALUE of Cancelled.  I am attaching a document that lays out the request type and workflow. FYI, This workflow allows the user to re-start so you do not have to create a new request each time.  It auto adds notes to the request that was moved and to itself so you can tell what was done.  This also works with sub-workflows (which require 2-step moves if entering or leaving the sub-wf). If you create this request type, make sure you limit security to your admins and support team.

I would also double-check to make sure you did not miss setting the security on one or more of the steps. When I first set this up I missed a couple that I had to correct after getting this error.

I hope this helps. If not, let me know.

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)