Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

how to disable email reminder in PPM

Highlighted
eata
Super Contributor.

how to disable email reminder in PPM

Hello;
We have a request whose demand owner is person A.
And request status is waiting demand owner approval. In this status each day a reminder email is sent to demand owner.
Person A changes his department and I changed demand owner to person B. But the system still sends reminder email to person A.
How could I disable sending email to person a or replace person a wih person b.
Regards

13 REPLIES
Utkarsh_Mishra
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: how to disable email reminder in PPM

In Reminder "Recipient window", what are you using....

Token, User name or Secuirty Group?

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
eata
Super Contributor.

We are using token on the definiation screen:

Utkarsh_Mishra
Acclaimed Contributor.

You are using parameter token, so are you updating the users correctly....

Also using this SQL, check what is getting evaluated in tokens..

select KNTP.SUBJECT, KNTP.FROM_EMAIL_ADDRESS, KNTD.REMINDER_DATE, KNTP.NOTIFICATION_SENT_FLAG,
KNTR.EMAIL_ADDRESS as SENT_TO,
KRHD.PARAMETER<PARAM OF CREATED_BY_TEMP>
from knta_notif_txn_parents kntp, KNTA_NOTIF_TXN_RECIPIENTS kntr, KNTA_NOTIF_TXN_DETAILS kntd,
kcrt_req_header_details krhd
where KNTP.NOTIF_TXN_PARENT_ID = KNTD.NOTIF_TXN_PARENT_ID
and KNTR.NOTIF_TXN_DETAIL_ID = KNTD.NOTIF_TXN_DETAIL_ID
and KNTP.PARENT_KEY_ID =  krhd.request_id
and krhd.request_id = <REQUEST_ID>
Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Our experience has indicated that tokens are evaluated when the step is entered and are not reevaluated if they are changed. We have seen this behavior with tokens set for notifications and security. Even when the Approval Details list shows the new person, security only is enabled for the user specified by the token when the step was enabled.

If the token specifies a security group, access is more dynamic in that the security group membership is evaluated at the time of page load. At least this is the behavior for security access. I don't know for sure it works this way on notifications but my guess is that it would.

AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

Jim is right.

as a workaround for this specific situation, you can create a new transition for this step, implement it in the workflow as a transition to the same step, log on with an admin user (the admin user should be set in the step security) and execute the transition. In this manner, PPM will re-resolve the tokens and reset the timeout. After you execute the transition, you can disable it in the step source definition.

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
eata
Super Contributor.

Hi;

Person B is shown as approver person in approval steps.

But person A gets reminder messages.

You proposed creating a dummy status and going that status and coming back.

Our company rules prevent such applications in prod environment. I think there is not any data base update solution.

AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

can you share a screenshot of the workflow step security configuration?

How did you configure the workflow to pick up the demand owner?

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

You can configure a timeout on the step, then have the timeout loop back to the step. This would reevaluate the tokens and pick up the new values. The notifications would not be reminders but rather new notifications but the addresses would be changed. You would not want a short timeout on this kind of setup. Maybe you could send daily reminders, then have the step time out and reinitialize weekly or something similar that would meet your needs.

Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Another thought: you can configure a notification on the request type to send email whenever the seeded Assigned To field in the request header changes. This could be used to notify the new assignee that the request should be looked at.

eata
Super Contributor.

Hi;

I am attaching screen shot.

I will apply your suggestion. I will make send reminder no and then yes.

Then I will check regards.

tech_cons
Respected Contributor.

Hi,

Please remove reminder selection from the step and clear reminder cache from database(db table is knta_notif_txn_parents. change reminder flag). don't use reminder selection to send reminder to users. apply workaround solutions. For example, you can add one more step and put timeout to send reminder. There is a bug in ppm about reminder.

Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

What is the problem caused by the bug you mentioned? What version(s) of the product have the bug? We use reminders frequently and have not had any issues with them in 7.5 SP6 and SP7, or 9.12.

Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

Jim is right. HP doesn't take this as a Bug. In fact, if I remember correctly, the reminder process has been working the same way ever since 5.5.  I wish they could provide us some easier options because currently, once the Reminder starts, the only way to stop it :-

- Transition the Request out from that step once somehow (approval, delegate or even a loop to re-set would do)

or,

- Clean up the entries related to that particular Notification in these 2 tables.
   knta_notif_txn_parents    &     knta_notif_txn_recipients

Thanks.

-Raj