Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

freestanding budget

Highlighted
Mikia
Trusted Contributor.

freestanding budget

Hi,
we are preparing to upgrade to PPM 8.0 (from 7.5) but we don't understand how "old" budgets are managed.
In version 7.5, we have planned and actual costs in the Budget;we understand that these cost will be costs in the financial summary. The approved budget (section in financial summary) as it will be made?as a automatic planned cos's sum?
Thanks a lot
3 REPLIES
Andrea Loi
Super Contributor.

Re: freestanding budget

Hi,
freestanding Budgets are not migrated from PPM7.5 to PPM8.
The manual (PPM8.00_Upgrade (from 7.5 to 8.0).pdf) describes a procedure to export and re-import them.
When you re-import Budgets, they are related to a lifecycle entity (a Request, but I don't remember if it is a Proposal or not).
You could link these Budgets to Proposals before the migration and you don't need to export/mport them.

I did not understand if you have a budget hierarchy (approved Budget is an automatic sum of other Budgets). If yes, you should analyze Budgets hierarchies in PPM8 (I did not investigate it).

It's very important that you perform the upgrade in TEST environment and that you have a backup for possible problems.

I hope that it's useful
Andrea

Mikia
Trusted Contributor.

Andrea,
thanks a lot.
I have a specific question:
if we upgrade to PPM 8.0, planned and actual costs in the Budget (in 7.5) will be costs in the financial summary..but how is approved budget (section of financial summary 8.0)managed?
Thanks
Andrea Loi
Super Contributor.

I suppose that approved Budgets of PPM 7 are migrated to approved Budgets of PPM8.

You can manage approved Budgets from Financial Summary page by clicking the button "View Approved Budgets Details". You can find more information on HP Financial Management Userâ s Guide.

But I did not experience using Approved Financial Summaries so all these notes are theoretical (studied on manuals).

Best regards
Andrea