Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XML Generator plug in (for Excel)

Highlighted
Kari Lehto
Occasional Contributor

XML Generator plug in (for Excel)

Hello,

Is anyone of you using XML Generator plug in (for Excel) in PPM? As far as we know it is not supported by HP but we have been using it in PPM 7.1 and also seen HP consultants use it. However after we upgraded to version 7.5, it doesn't work anymore or we are just lacking an updated version of the plugin.

Do you have information on this? Do you have the latest version or the plugin or have more knowledge on what is HP's current stand for this?

Thanks

Kari
15 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Re: XML Generator plug in (for Excel)

Hi Kari,

We're 7.5 also and are using the XML plug in that is for 7.1SP3 successfully, although importing staffing profiles that are linked to an existing budget doesn't work.
Vsalian
Regular Collector

Hi There,

Is it possible to get an extract of Projects and Budgets (like the 2 tabs u have in the attachment) from PPM in to excel (other way round??
How can I do it??

Thanks,

V
andy mcmahon
Regular Collector

Eric,

We are using the same XML Generator you have supplied here, and I am having an issue with Staffing profile imports, where it will only add one 'role' per staffing profile, however it will import all of the users, and group them all under the last role in the SP. have you had an success with the SP importer? Do you happen to have a map, or any tips that may help me?

Thanks!
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Andy, have you looked at the xml file it generates to see if the issue is in Excel or in PPM?
andy mcmahon
Regular Collector

Eric,

I've checked the XML file, and it's only generating one "Role" for all of the resources in the excel sheet. Since it's gernerating the last Role, I feel like it's probably overwriting each one before it.

Is this the way the Staffing profile function should work? Seems like it would need to do multiple roles per SP to be effective.
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Right, I just ran it here using your xls from the other thread and it did the same thing. Looks like maybe a bug in the excel add-on is making it output the xml tags in the wrong order. I've imported multi-role staffing profiles before, but never with resources already assigned so I've never seen this before.
andy mcmahon
Regular Collector

Do you know if there is a more up to date plugin than what I have? (7.1) and/or, do you have the plugin for me to download, so I can see if the plugin has a bug?

Thanks so much Eric!
andy mcmahon
Regular Collector

Eric,

FYI I just tried without assigned resources and got the same result. (Only one role)

Hope that helps.
andy mcmahon
Regular Collector

Eric,

I ran the XML creator on an older version of office, and it worked perfectly. I think this is an office 2007 conversion problem...
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Makes sense, we're using 2007 here too. I don't have a newer import bundle...I'll see if I can find one, we'll be needing it to work for 8.0 shortly anyway.
andy mcmahon
Regular Collector

Eric,

Thanks! let me know if you find anything that may be useful. I'd love to have a new importer!
andy mcmahon
Regular Collector

and I lied. It wasn't 2007. I just made an error.
andy mcmahon
Regular Collector

Eric,

I've gotten the XML file formatted, (manually for now) to upload the staffing profile.

When I set the "Position data entered in" field to 'weeks' I get an error. "HP Internal error has occured".. Do you think you could help troubleshoot?
Khanh La
Occasional Advisor

Hi Guys,

Please help.

Can I update existing PPM data using the XML import Generator?

Thanks.
Raka_1
Collector

Khanh La-

We faced the same issue. The XML import doesn't work with 7.5 or 8.0. I have seen the Excel Add-In for 8.0 but it is only available with HP and it doesn't come with the installation. What you can do is ask HP to provide the latest version. The latest plugin will work with 7.5 and 8.0.

Let me know what response you get from them.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event