cancel

Workflow timeout step

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
andy mcmahon
Respected Contributor.

Workflow timeout step

I am trying to write a workflow step to time out after 10 business days.
I know how to set the timeout parameter but, what are my options for 'actions upon timeout'. How do I go about setting those? Is there a document on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES
Erik Cole_1
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Workflow timeout step

Hi Andy,

Timeout is a transition just like any other, it's just triggered by some period of time expiring instead of another event. Create a workflow step transition, select 'Specific Error: Timeout' event and chose a step to transition to. You can also transition back to the same step and use it to generate an e-mail instead of going to another step.
Sascha Mohr_1
Outstanding Contributor.

Two things can happen when a timeout occurs. You can configure a notification to be send when that wf step times out and you can have transitions away from that wf step that are followed when the time out happens. The time out for transitions is in the error category. The general description on wf steps, timeouts and transitions is in the doc called "PPM8.0_DemandMgmt_Config.pdf"
andy mcmahon
Respected Contributor.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the response. I guess, I have 3 exit steps for this specific step. One of them however is a 'no response' and I would like that to time out after 10 Business days. How do I say which transition step the time out triggers?

Am I overlooking something fairly simple?

Also, Sascha, if I wanted to do a notification, would I loop the timeout back to that step and setup a notification?

I really appreciate your help! I'm knee deep in workflow step, and my config training isn't until June! :)
andy mcmahon
Respected Contributor.

I played around a bit, and I think I figured it out.

I set the 'no response' transition to activate at specific error = timeout.

I think that's what you guys were saying.

I'll test it to find out.

So if I wanted to do a notification, I would make a rework, and setup a notification for when that specific transition hit that step to be sent?

Can you confirm? Thanks!
Sascha Mohr_1
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

That depends on wether you want to a have a notification once after 10 days of inactivity (configure a notification that is send not when eligible but special error: timeout) or every 10 days (workflow loop as Erik said).
andy mcmahon
Respected Contributor.

Thanks guys. You both helped enormously! Who needs training when we have the interwebs!