Workbench connection issue for PPM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

Workbench connection issue for PPM

Hello,

We are currently on 7.5 sp6. Several of our users are having the connection problem with their PPM Workbench on their machine. Infact, we have atleast one new user with this same issue coming up everything month for the last six months. They seem to have the required JRE 1.6.0_07 installed just like on my machine but are unable to launch the workbench using either regular "open Workbench" link or "Open WB on Desktop" link. The issue seems to be isolated to their machine as when they log on to different machine they don't face the issue there.

When they try the regular way, they get "Connection Not Established KNTA-10976" error and when they try launching on Desktop option they get "Unable to Connect. Either no server is running or those servers that are running are not accepting connections" error. Other users can launch the workbench at the same time just fine so servers are not accepting connections does not seem to make any sense. Our Desktop Support guys do not see anything wrong with the machine.

I have opened a ticket with HP Support but did not get very clear resolution about this issue in the past so I am not expecting very different. I was wondering if anyone else in the community have faced something similar and can suggest us something that could help. Thanks in advance.

-Raj

3 REPLIES
Etienne_Canaud
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Workbench connection issue for PPM

Hi Raj,

We already met this issue, and it turns out the root cause was a slightly too restrictive firewall running on the user's workstation that was preventing the workbench from connecting to PPM server.

This can also be caused by an antivirus with specific network protection policies activated.

You should check for firewall or antivirus configuration discrepancies between the workstation of the users with connection issues and the other workstations from where the users can successfully connect.

Thanks,

Etienne.

Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks Etienne,

My users say they are not able to see any difference but I will forward the info over to the Desktop support guys to see if they can get some clue from your suggestions.

Thanks.

-Raj

Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

We have now implemented a workaround suggested by HP Support  by entering IP Adress of the PPM server in the lcoal host file of the users' machine. And that seems to have resolved the issue.

Thanks.

-Raj