Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Where data is saved for external fields in user created request types ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Jegadeesh Ramam
Trusted Contributor.

Where data is saved for external fields in user created request types ?

Hello,

When I create new Request Type (which would include some fields, some of which could be external to PPM) and my own work-flow, where the data entered in external (ie. not part of any default PPM tables) fields is saved ?

Could somebody explain this and/or point me to any docs ?

thanks much
Jeg
4 REPLIES
Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Where data is saved for external fields in user created request types ?

Jeg,

When you are creating a new Request Type, you can specifiy as many fields as you need. Each of the fields is stored in one of the 50 PARAMETERx/VISIBLE_PARAMETERx fields in the KCRT_REQUEST_DETAILS table. You may have more than 50 fields in your Request Type, with each group of 50 being handled as a "batch". There is a column called BATCH_NUMBER to distinguish these groupings.

This configuration allows the Request Type to be very flexible and configurable. There is no mechanism for storing data outside of the PPM table structure.

I hope this helps.

Jason
Jegadeesh Ramam
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks Jason for the details.

What I meant to say by "external to PPM" was the data entered in some of the Req. type fiedls are IDs/handles into some other tool.

The reason I'm asking for this is, when I integrate PPM with other tools for the end-to-end work-flow, I need some field data which would identify (like a DB key, which PPM itself needn't understand, but would provide a placeholder) some "details" in the other tool.

So essentially I understand what you're saying is the PPM table KCRT_REQUEST_DETAILS would serve this purpose.

Correct ?

Thanks again
Jeg
Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Yes, you can configure one of the fields to be a text field and store what ever data you need. However, be advised that it will be stored as VARCHAR2 data type. If your data is numeric, you will need to convert to number for any comparisons. The first 40 fields (1-40) are VARCHAR2(200) and the last 10 (41-50) are VARCHAR2(4000) fields. If you are just storing IDs, you probably would only need the smaller fields.

Jason
Jegadeesh Ramam
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks. This answers my query.