Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

What does PPM load on Startup?

Highlighted
Cat_2
Super Contributor.

What does PPM load on Startup?

I hoping someone here has a better idea of what PPM loads when it starts up. For instance, is it loading everyone's dashboards on startup?

We're still dealing with memory issues and the critical ticket with HP has been open over a week now. I know I'm probably overly anxious but the system is taking a credibility hit at this point.

4 REPLIES
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: What does PPM load on Startup?

What do you have set for max heap size? HP recommended the following some time ago, indicating it is the maximum size allowed:

com.kintana.core.server.SERVER_MAX_HEAP_SIZE=1280m

Also, there may be an issue with the Java version you are running. We have been using the following for a long time as it was the recommended version for 7.5 SP5:

IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, JRE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 AIX ppc-32 jvmap3260sr6-20090923_42924

We have been testing the following recently as SR7 is needed for the upgrade to 9.1:

IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, JRE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 AIX ppc-32 jvmap3260sr7-20100219_54049

In one of our test instances, we encountered an Out of Memory condition. We are still analyzing that failure.

Cat_2
Super Contributor.

Our heap size is set to 1280m as you mentioned. 1280m is also the init heap size.

We are on JDK 1.6.0_19. We run on Windows which appears to be somewhat uncommon.

If I start our dev app it'll run at ~590M memory use (per taskmanager)  immediately. If I login, it will go up to 700M. I'm not that concerned about the 590M as I am with the fact that it never goes back down by any significant amount. Once it gets up to 1.5G of memory use it will pretty much stay there, regardless of time of days, #users, etc. until eventually it will start spitting out Out of Memory errors around 1.64G.

I was thinking if I knew what it was loading perhaps I could go nose around those objects to see if anything is amiss.

Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

The System Requirements and Compatibility Matrix for 9.1 calls for the following Java for Windows:

Java Platform Standard

Edition 6 Development Kit

(JDK) 1.6.0_07 (32-bit only)

We have found that Java versions are often not backward compatible and PPM can be very sensitive to differences. There have been a couple of times when we had problems upgrading with a later Java version than specified in the requirements document. The problems went away when we backed up to the version specified by HP.

We monitored the heap behavior while we were having memory leak issues and found that it normally showed a minimum usage of 400MB and would quickly fill and trigger garbage collection several times per minute. One thing I can recommend is to NOT run kStart.sh with -debug specified. This causes all log messages to be written to another log file that will continue to grow and seems to cause really big chunks of heap space to be allocated and released.

Cat_2
Super Contributor.

I rolled back the JDK to 1.6.0_07 as you mentioned and I'll be damned if the memory usage didn't drop to around 350-400M per node vs. the 600M.

I'll be curious to see if the usage stays down or if it continues to grow. If you found the problem then you made my day!  I should note I made this change on our dev box, production change will be our true test.