Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

We are about to merge two PPM installations

Highlighted
hyllplan
Honored Contributor.

We are about to merge two PPM installations

Anyone with experience in this area? Webservices? Is there any documentation in this area?
3 REPLIES
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: We are about to merge two PPM installations

One possibility would to be to create a new instance and migrate all objects you want to preserve from each of the existing instances.

A refinement of this would be to start with one of the existing instance's database and migrate stuff to it from the other instance.

Of course, this will not preserve active contents like requests, packages, etc. It would only preserve request types, workflows, object types, etc. The database content in the two databases would be incompatible and there are no migration processes that I am aware of that could move and merge the active content.
Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

I am not even sure we want to go that route but I think it could be a possibility to import request data in to PPM using open interface tables. Any open requests may need to be put into Closed status later by using scripts. Just a thought.
Thanks.
-Raj
hyllplan
Honored Contributor.

It seems like its going to be a tough one probably we will migrate over time. i will investigate the open interface. Regarding RT, WF etc I beliee we will just make sureboth instances are on same version and migrate the data. But the problem will be the actual user data. Someoone must have done something similar....