cancel

Wanted: New PPM programmer wanting ASP / VBSCript Web Services code examples

Highlighted
EricLEdberg
Trusted Contributor.

Wanted: New PPM programmer wanting ASP / VBSCript Web Services code examples

Hello,

First post as a new PPM developer....

I wonder if there are any Web Services examples using ASP / VBScript available?  Our HP PPM architect will use Java to develop applications but I'm very familiar with VBScript.  Are there any example programs in the PPM library that I could use to learn with?

I'm sure I'll have to learn Java but would be more productive using VBScript.

Pointers would be appreciated

Alcatel-Lucent.

Eric L. Edberg

1 REPLY
Etienne_Canaud
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Wanted: New PPM programmer wanting ASP / VBSCript Web Services code examples

Hi Eric,

As far as I know, PPM cannot be interfaced using VB Script (unlike HP Quality Center for example). 

Its external interfaces are using WSDL SOAP Web Services, which can be connected using any language with libraries existing to access this technology (and VB Script is not in the list I'm afraid).

If you really want to stick to the VB Syntax but would like to keep a "Windows friendly" development approach, you can try to connect to PPM Web Services using VB.Net.

There are .Net samples in the PPM Web Services Kit. Even though they use C#, it should still be better than using pure Java.

Of course, you are still up for learning VB.Net (which is quite different from VB Script), but the change might be less painful than using Java. Moreover, with .Net you can easily interface with most Office and Windows applications easier than what you would do with Java.

If you really want to stick to VB Script, I think there is a VB Script / .Net bridging mechanism available, but you'd better make the jump and start learning either Java or VB.Net/C#.Net from now, that would surely prove useful in the future as VB is slowly but surely de-supported by Microsoft.

Thanks,

Etienne.