cancel

Viewing PPM portlets on SharePoint

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Greg_Shrout
Super Contributor.

Viewing PPM portlets on SharePoint

Someone from HP mentioned that we could have PPM portlets displayed on SharePoint such that one did not need to log onto PPM to view the PPM portlet displayed on the SharePoint page.
How does one go about doing that?
7 REPLIES
Sascha Mohr_1
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Viewing PPM portlets on SharePoint

As far as my experience goes this is not exactly true. You can easily display PPM's portlets in Sharepoint Portals and vice versa using WSRP functionality both systems support. But you will need to have a single-sign-on solution be set up, Which is a good idea in general, because even it would work (what HP mentioned), as soon as you click a link in a PPM portlet in a Sharepoint portal, you surely would need to enter PPM credentials then.
Regards
Sascha
Cenk Oguz
Respected Contributor.

Actually I think WSRP capable portals provide credentials directly in the web service requests.

Think I noticed this when trying to consume BAC portlets from PPM. However not sure.

I was stopped in my case since BAC settings didnt allow my user or PPM server to consume portlets.
Greg_Shrout
Super Contributor.

I should mention that we are on LDAP, meaning the user's PPM user account is set to LDAP authentication, which requires the user to logon to PPM with the same username and password as their network logon and password.
Sascha Mohr_1
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

Hi Greg.
That made me curious now and I tested it with two PPM systems. If the username is the same on both systems, the WSRP-portlet displays appropriate content on the consumer side. The password does not have to be the same. I tested it with a request list; as soon as I click a link in the list I had to authenticate on the producer system with username and password.
So, HP was kind of right, would implement SSO first though, just to be more user-friendly.
Both/all the involved system should use the same authentication base (LDAP, ADS etc.), of course, just to make sure we have consistent data security. Matching usernames should not be enogh.
Vsalian
Respected Contributor.

Hi Greg,

I am a newbie and looking forward to integrate PPM and Sharepoint.......How do I go about displaying PPM portlets in Sharepoint or Excel.

Thanks

V
Greg_Shrout
Super Contributor.

Here are two ways that one might go about getting data to Excel from PPM:
1) In a portlet's maximized view, you can export to Excel or export to a file and then open up in Excel.
2) Using an ODBC connection, you can connect directly to the database from Excel. This method is trickier and you need to know the connection parameters.
Good Luck!
Greg_Shrout
Super Contributor.

Need to close this thread and move on.