The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value of the Hidden parameter is not updating with correct value

Highlighted
Shravan Kathuri

Value of the Hidden parameter is not updating with correct value

Hi,

I have created pl/sql function in which iam using the KCRT_REQUEST_UTIL.copy_request procedure and updating one of the field in the request type using following.

storing the generated request id in Hidden parameter and storing the request_id with Hyperlink in Visible parameter.

But when i was executed this function using Workbench execution step, the hidden parameter is also updating with hyperlink, but it should be updated with only request id.

What might be the issue.

Thanks,
Shravan kumar
10 REPLIES
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Re: Value of the Hidden parameter is not updating with correct value

We recently saw a similar problem. We populated a hidden field with a rule that set the hidden value to a security group id and the visible value to the security group name. Both the hidden and visible values were set to the group id value. When the field was changed to display, both values were set as intended and everything worked properly. It looks like a bug.

We are running release 6.0 SP14.
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

Hi.
We encountered something very similar (in version 7.1SP6) and it seems to be dependant on the field type/validation. A text field had this behaviour, a custom numerical text field did not.
Looks strange and we would need a wor around for that too.
pepdwill

I encountered this very same issue today and need some help in determining what to do... Version 9.14.

When I attempt to store different text values in the Parameter and Visible_Parameter via a simple rule, the end result is that the Visible Parameter value gets stored in both places.  Not the behavior I was expecting.

For example: "Select '123', '456' from dual" ends up storing only the '456' value, in both parameter fields.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this?  It really seems like a bug, but maybe there's some limitation or something I'm not aware of that can explain it.

Thanks!

Mohit_Agrawal
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

I have also created a function and did not encounter this issue. I am updating 'Y' to the hidden field and 'Yes' in the Visible-parameter. I can see both are updated as intended. The only thing is that I am using DECODE function in the code like below:

Update KCRT_REQUEST_DETAILS

set Parameter1 = Decode (Field, 'True','Y','N'),

visible_parameter1 = Decode (Field, 'True','Yes','No')

where request_id = XXXXXX;

update kcrt_requests

set last_update_date = sysdate

where request_id = XXXXXX;

COMMIT;

hope this helps!!

Thanks!!

Mohit Agrawal

pepdwill

Thanks Mohit.

In your example you are writing the parameter values directly to the database via a SQL update statement, which I would expect to work.  The problem is when trying to execute this from within a request type rule. 

I thought I read something about this behavior happening when the type of field validation is Text.  I will play around with this a bit and see what happens when the validation is something different...

pepdwill

Just tested changing the field validation type and was able to get it working.  In my test example I was simply trying to store the Project ID and Project Request ID in this hidden field, which I had originally set as a text area validation.  What I did was create a new drop-down validation,  validated by the following SQL:

SELECT PRJ_PROJECT_ID, REQUEST_ID FROM KCRT_FG_PFM_PROJECT

This fixed the problem and it now works. 

Can anyone elaborate on why it behaves this way?  This info would be good to know.

Danny

AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Hi,

By design, Ppm stores the same value for both visible and hidden tokens, no matter what, except for direct database update, of course. This is applicable for text validations, including text area validations.

Cheers
Alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

I disagree with Alex on this one. We have many rules that populate different values in the hidden and visible values of text fields. I cannot give any guidance, though, on what is wrong in your case. Can you post the definition of the field and the text of the rule?

pepdwill

Sure Jim...

Attached is an example of what the field definition and rule looked like before I got it working by changing the field validation.

Thanks-

Danny

Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

I can reproduce the behavior you see. If I change the fields to editable, then change them back to display only, it starts to work properly and populates the visible and hidden values as desired.. This appears to work only for fields of type Text Area, not type Text Field. Looks like a bug.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event