VP and P?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

VP and P?

Hi,

What is the difference between a Visible parameter and Parameter?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sam.
7 REPLIES
Sangiliraja_1
Honored Contributor.

Re: VP and P?

Hi Sam,

Each Field in PPM is set to have Parameter and Visible Parameter for various resons. One important reason is to give referential integrity.
1) For example if u have field for user typically u will userid in parameter and whereever u used the field say in portlet filter, sending a mail u use userid as userid is unique and not full name of the user.
2) Even portlet filters having multiselect will be required to use parameters if parameter is using numbers and vp are using some text

let me know if you have queries.

Thanks
SAngiliraja.P
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Thanks.

But how do one fill paramenter and visible parameter?

say I have used workbench and created one filed with some default values.

1) Now, in this act where is parameter and visible parameter is getting filled?
2) Is there any limitaion with total number of parameters and vp?
3) How can I know, what parameters & Vps I should use for the newly created field? (I think ideally one can find from looking at database, but is there any other way to find this?)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sam.
Sangiliraja_1
Honored Contributor.
Solution

Hi Sam,

Parameter and Visible Parameter of a field will both be populated from selecting value from the front end.

Here are my questions to ur answers:
In the workbench, if you selecting a default value both P and VP are populated as follows.
1) if it is a text field or text area, then both P and VP will be having same values.
2) If it is a DDL or ACL, the value will be coming for the available list.

For a RT there can be maximum of 300 Fields. Whenever a field is declared it willl have a P and VP so typically in KCRT_REQUEST_DETAILS table for a request 300*2 600 data cells will be allocated for a request.

In workbench, when u create a field, the stroage tab, gives you parameter col: gives you the parameter number and visible paramater number used for it.
For example if the parameter col shows PARAMETER11, the field P will be PARAMETER11 and VP will be VISIBLE_PARAMETER11.

Also you can run of report "Request Type Detail Report" to see the PARAMETER used for a field.

Thanks
SAngiliraja.P
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Hi SAngiliraja,

Thanks, good info.

So, if I understand your answers correctly - when i see in database tabel (for Development request) and found say 40 parameters and equivalent VPs. Then all these 40 are in use by some field. And if I want to add new filed I should use parameter41 and VP41 - isn't it?

Also, is there any limit on P's and VP's in case of Defect requests and Development requests? Can it be customized to grow more?

Thanks

Sam.
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Sorry, by mistake I pressed wrong button. But, SAngiliraja is answering my questions.
Volker Schoettn
Honored Contributor.

Hi,

an additional hint to the above mentioned 300 request type fields. The 300 fields are not a fixed maximum. You can add more fields by modifing the validation "CRT - Max Custom Fields". However 300 fields are the recommended maximum.

Regards
Volker
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Thanks Voker.

So, if I understand your answers correctly - when i see in database tabel (for Development request) and found say 40 parameters and equivalent VPs. Then all these 40 are in use by some field. And if I want to add new filed I should use parameter41 and VP41 - isn't it?