Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage of OR condition step

Highlighted
Shravan Kathuri

Usage of OR condition step

Hi,

We have 2 decision steps with same status and same validation values "Approve" and "Reject".
We want the workflow to move to next approval decision step If any one of the user clicks on "Approve".
For this, we have used "OR" step after the 2 decision steps and we linked the "OR" step to third Decision step.
when one user clicked on "Approve" button from Decision step 1, it is going to "OR" step and then from "OR" step to third
decision step.But other Decision step (second decision step) still showing as "Eligible".

What could be the reason? and how to use the "OR" step to move to different decision step.

We have also tried to put the "close Success" step after the "OR" step.It went properly( i.e second decision step got cancelled).

But we want to move the workflow to different decision step from the "OR" step.

Thanks
Shravan kumar.K
7 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Re: Usage of OR condition step

Shravan,

What you are describing is correct about how OR steps work.

What you can do is instead of the two steps you can just use a single 'Approve - All Users' step configured to poll all of your target approvers and advance the request on the first approval vote.

This can be kind of tricky to configure to get it to work the way you want. Look in the Demand Mgt Config Guide at the section called "Creating Decision Workflow Step Sources" - there is an in-depth description of how the 'Decisions Required' setting works.
Niraj Prabhu
Frequent Visitor

Shravan,

What I understand this requirement as one decision step only. Since you are saying that both the decision steps currently you have has the same status and same approval button, you mean just that both of them are assigned to different groups.

If this is the case, just have one decision step and assign both the groups for taking action. Anyone who takes Approve action is going to advance the request to next step.

In addition, can you export the workflow and share the same, it might give us better understanding if we have understood the problem correctly.

Regards,
Niraj
Niraj P.
Shravan Kathuri

Hi,

We have the requirement where we have 2 action buttons for 2 decision steps "Approve" and "Need More Info".

both 2 users must click on "Approve" to move forward.and for "Need More Info" button,If atleast one person clicks on "Need More Info",it should move to different decision step.So we have used 2 decision steps and for "Approve" button we have used "AND" step and for "Need Mote Info" button we have used "OR" condition.But when any one person clicked on "Need More Info" button, it is going to the next decision step.but the another decision step is still in eligible status.

Thanks
Shravan kumar.K

Hi Shravan,

put both decision steps in a subworkflow and handle the different results in main workflow.
The first step in subworkflow sould be an "OR" step to split the incoming transition for both decision step. The results of both steps should be linked to the return step of the subsworkflow.
So if the steps are eligible and any user clicks any action, the workflow will leave the subworkflow and PPM will cancel all remaining eligible workflow steps of subworkflow.
In main workflow you can handle the result and in case of 'Need more Info' route back to subworkflow to activate the decision steps again.

Kind regards,
Michael
Vinod Jadhav
Regular Collector

Hi Shravan,

Did you got solution to this problem? I am facing the same issue. As a workaround I can forcefully move request from 'Eligible' step to next step in the workflow but just curious to know if you have solution to this problem. OR step do not automatically make second parallel step inactive when action is taken on the other step.

Thanks
VInod
Shravan Kathuri

Hi Vinod,

NO. We haven't got any solution till now. We are using ppm7.1 sp5. May be in later versions, we need to check.

Thanks
Shravan kumar.K
Vinod Jadhav
Regular Collector

Hi Shravan,

I am facing issue on PPM 7.5 SP5. I have couple of execution steps between parallel decision step and OR step. So I was thinking, OR is not working as expected. How's your setup? Do you have multiple execution steps in between decision steps and 'OR' step?

As a workaround, I have kept one decision step for the users to decide which path they want to follow and removed 'OR' step from the workflow. Forcefully moving request from backend was not making that much sense.

Thanks
Vinod
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event