Upgrading from 6.0 (SP14) to 8.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Alexei Malinovs
Respected Contributor.

Upgrading from 6.0 (SP14) to 8.0

Hi,

We are investigating upgrade from 6.0(that we are using at the moment) to 8.0.

In 6.0 we use following modules:
Demand management
Time management
Project Management
Resource management

So, there is a bit of data accumulated during last 4 years.

Question:
What is the official way to transfer data from 6.0 to 8.0? If I simplify picture a bit what option is a correct one:

Option 1: There is a script in v8.0 that will automatically fetch data from 6.0 database

Option 2: We need to upgrade step by step from version to version: from 6.0 to 7.x and then from 7.x to 8.0 each time executing script to moive data from version to version.

Any other ways tpo transfer data? Is this process documented somwhere?
6 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Upgrading from 6.0 (SP14) to 8.0

Alexei,

Hate to say it, but the upgrade path for you would be 6.0 > 7.1 > 7.5 > 8.0

More info can be found in the Upgrade Guides for each version.
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

HP discussed upgrade planning in a web session a couple of months ago. Their suggestion was to do at most one minor and one major upgrade at a time. 6.0 -> 7.1 and 7.5 -> 8.0 are classified as major while 7.1 -> 7.5 is minor. Their suggestion was to not go from 6.0 all the way to 8.0 in one pass. We are currently working on the 6.0 -> 7.1 -> 7.5 process. That covers enough changes that it will take a while to digest.
Gary Rubinstein
Respected Contributor.

Further to the other comments, I would recommend following the 6.x -> 7.1 -> 7.5 -> 8.0 step path.

However, I would not address workflow, request or portlet issues until you reach 8.0 as there are a number of table changes in 8.0 and if you were to fix in 7.x you may have to fix again in 8.0.
Alexei Malinovs
Respected Contributor.

Thank you everyone for the answers! That's explain the upgrade path for me. Then , I have even more questions :)

From your experience how long does it take to install all new servers and then to execute an upgrade scripts for:
Major upgrade
Minor upgrade

and how long then it takes to clear all upgrade mistakes that happens during upgrade?
Marlene Mazzeo
Super Contributor.

When we upgraded from 6.0 SP9 to 7.1 SP6, it took @ 4 hours to just run the upgrade scripts in our development environment. In Production, which is on better hardware, it took @ 1.5 - 2 hours.

As a comparison, when we upgraded from 7.1 SP6 to 7.5 SP3, it took maybe 45 minutes to apply in our development environment and maybe 20 minutes in production.

Our OS is HPUX, so it may be different for someone using Windows etc.

Make sure to review the pre-validation reports that are created to see where problems exist.

I would also recommend refreshing your test environment from production so you can see exactly what will happen.

The majority of our Project Requests were not properly associated with their Project Plans/Work Plans. We were able to correct this by seeing what happened in the test environment, and when we upgraded production, everything worked as expected.

We did have some time sheet issues.

When you upgrade from 6.0 to 7.1, Project Requests are no longer considered a Request, so if a user added a Project Request to their timesheet, they may have problems opening their timesheet to add any additional time. We only had a couple of users experience this, so it was not everyone, but still something worth mentioning.
koya
Super Contributor.

The details about PPM upgrade are good. Also consider if you need the database upgrade also if the minimum version of the database is changed.

The upgrade time can be specific to the product areas that you are working. HP has been fixing some performance issues in service packs.

Does anyone apply latest pack on a release after upgrading? I guess if you dont do that there can be performance isssues in the next upgrade step when some indexes can go missing and it might take several hours extra than a typical upgrade.

A general question to the group. Do you regenerate the indexes after each upgrade step?