Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Upgrading 8.03 to 9.20

Highlighted
ChristineK
Trusted Contributor.

Upgrading 8.03 to 9.20

Does anyone have any experience with upgrade PPM from 8.03 to the latest 9.20?

Is it earier to upgrade to 9.10 first and then to 9.20 or is it easier to just do an clean install of 9.20 and migrate data.

8 REPLIES
randull
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Upgrading 8.03 to 9.20

Hi Christine,

You can not migrate the data to 9.2 from 8.03 because there have been changes on the database.

I recommend you to upgrade to 9.1 and then to 9.2, that'd the correct way to go.

Thanks,

Randall

Best regards,
Randall

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
"If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

On top of this, you cannot migrate the data to a fresh install.

Just upgrade via the normal path as Randall suggested.

Cheers
Alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
ChristineK
Trusted Contributor.

That is good to know....thanks!

So...my 8.03 version is currently on a 2003 box and I am upgrading to a 2008 VM.  Do you know if I have to install my 8.03 on my 2008 VM box for a baseline and then upgrade to 9.10 or can I do a fresh install of 9.10 on my 2008 VM and migrate my data from my 8.03 version box?

randull
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Christine,

You cannot refresh the data of an instance on 8.03 to another one on 9.2. Because there have been changes on the database and they will cause you data corruptions and things like that.

The best way to go is to upgrade your 8.03 to 9.2.

Thanks,

Randall

Best regards,
Randall

"If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

So, if you want to change to another machine, the best way is to do in-place upgrade of PPM and then migrate to the new machine.

Cheers
Alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
ChristineK
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Randall

Your last statment kinda confused me....you previous told me I need to go from 8.03-9.10 and then to 9.20 but you last post suggest states "The best way to go is to upgrade your 8.03 to 9.2".....did you mean 9.1???

Thanks for all your help!

ChristineK
Trusted Contributor.

Please excuse my stupidity but I am every elementary when it comes to software!!!

Randall...you stated that there have been changes to the database....so if I upgrade from 8.03 to 9.10, I need to upgrade my Oracle db as well from 10 to 11g.  How do I migrate my data off the old db and on to my new db??

My apologizes again for my lack of knowledge.  I was not the original person who installed the application and I was kinda thrown into this position.

randull
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Christine,

I apologize for the confusion.

I mean there have been changes on the PPM database structure, like some fields added to the tables and things like that. That is why i recommed you to upgrade your PPM 8.03 to 9.1 and then to 9.2, because each one of them, have some of this changes and they need to be implemented by the upgrade scripts.

If you do a fresh install of 9.2 and refresh your data with the one on 8.03 you will get some data corruptions on your database.

you have to review the compability matrix guides in order to see if your database versions are supported on the version you want to install.

Best regards,
Randall