Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Upgrade 7.5 to 8.0

Highlighted
hilary_3
Regular Contributor.

Upgrade 7.5 to 8.0

Hello.

We have a single database that separates 2 PPM instances by schemas and permissions. 1 group would like to upgrade to 8.0.

Can we just upgrade a schema or does the entire database have to be upgraded?
5 REPLIES
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Upgrade 7.5 to 8.0

For the Upgrade the DB needs to meet the requirements of the new release e.g. DB version 10.2.0.4.
I have had a training instance of PPM 7.5 running with this DB version without any issues. You should have a look into the sys requirements and compatibility matrix that correspondst to the 7.5 version you plan to continue to use, and make sure the doc corresponds to the service pack you have on your 7.5 instance.
hilary_3
Regular Contributor.

Thank you for the reply.
My db is already 10.2.0.4. I meant that there are 2 PPM schemas in that database. Both are using 7.5. 1 of them wants to upgrade to 8.0. Does the entire db have to be upgraded to 8.0 or can I just upgrade 1 schema?
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

I don't see a reason why you should worry then. The two instance have their own db schemes and if the access each other that would be via webservices right?
The only disadvantage of such a mixed environment that I know of is that entity migration won't work between them, but that's no db issue.
hilary_3
Regular Contributor.

Hi Sascha.

Thanks again for the quick response.
The two environments do not need to talk to either at all. They are different business units who use PPM totally differently.

So as long as the upgrade does nothing to the overall db and ONLY updates the schema, then I should be ok.

Thank you.
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

You should be fine then. If you want, get approval by HP support, of course.