Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Updating Validation List from the User Interface

Highlighted
Raka_1
Super Contributor.

Updating Validation List from the User Interface

There are 3-4 validation list that need to be updated by the user itself. What I want to do is to have a request type where the user enters the new validation value and then submits the request to the admins after admins approval there is an execution step that runs which updates the validation value. Is this possible. or is there some better way to do this. The user has the ability in its own hand rather than always sending a new list to the admins to update the values.
4 REPLIES
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Updating Validation List from the User Interface

We have done this several times by defining a new table and creating a request to manage its contents, along the lines of what you describe. You can maintain the values in knta_lookups instead, but the flexibility and segregation of data that the separate table gives us make it our preferred solution in most cases.
Raka_1
Super Contributor.

Can you explain as to how were you able to maintain the contents in the new table, like how would you define for the field to put its content in the new table.

Can you just give me an overview design of the whole procedure
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

That is a common request by pretty much everybody who uses PPM. To modify validations you always need expensive and powerful config licenses. I am searching for a solution to this too:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1422936
You are right, best thing is to create a request for this. But it has one disadvantage. If you are using userdata fields in your validation you will need to create one request type per validation. So far this kept me from doing so.
I'll add an image of the associated workflow. It checks first if it is a new or changed line for the validation, then admin approval, execution steps that add or modify.
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Our workflow is essentially the same as Sascha's. The request has a dropdown field to select Add or Update, and a field for each value the user can provide. The command that is executed is either an insert directive for Add or an update directive for Update.

We maintain the content for just a few validations this way. Many of our validations query external sources of truth for current content. For instance, we pull job names from the job scheduler when needed (filtered on job families available to the user). We deal with far too much dynamic data to even consider becoming a data warehouse for the corporation, and this approach simplifies data consistency issues.