Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Update User Data fields from Object Type? Or set token that can be resolved from all package lines?

Highlighted
bzdafro
Honored Contributor.

Update User Data fields from Object Type? Or set token that can be resolved from all package lines?

Hi,

We are trying to prevent users from adding new lines to existing packages after a certain point is reached. For compliance reasons, we need to associate a package with a change. Right now, there is a loop hole in packages. If someone creates a package, and say it deploys to production, before the package closes out, users can add an additional line. This will prevent the package from closing. If the package never closes, our verification step is never reached.

I was starting to write a SQL query to handle this. However, I thought it would be easier to just update a field on the User Data tab or set a token. Is there anyway to do this? Has anyone run into this issue? I dont know if its possible to update a field on the user data tab of a package from the object type... ksc_store [PKG.UD.QV_CHG_NUMBER]="Complete" does not work. also, if I set a token, its not global for all package lines. I think its stored on each package line individually.
3 REPLIES
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Update User Data fields from Object Type? Or set token that can be resolved from all package lines?

You can configure a workflow parameter on the Workflow tab in the workbench. These parameters are accessible as tokens from all of the package lines. You can find examples in the reference manual that demonstrate counters that can be incrememted by any package line and used for decision steps.
bzdafro
Honored Contributor.

Re: Update User Data fields from Object Type? Or set token that can be resolved from all package lines?

I tried the workflow parameter. It appears to be package line dependent. I would need a token that is available to all package lines. I tried the built in Timeout Counter workflow step. 'select [WFI.P.TIMEOUT_COUNTER] +1 FROM DUAL' and submitted a few lines. I echoed out the TIMEOUT_COUNTER. It always started as 0 with each line, and increased to 1. I would need something that keeps the value, and keeps increasing with each line everytime a step is executed.. 1,2,3,4,5.... anything else I can try?
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Sorry for the misdirection. You are right that the workflow parameters have independent values for each package line.

The reference manual states the following for ksc_store: This command dynamically sets the values of fields defined for object types, request types, and report types.

It looks like it cannot set package level tokens. The only alternative I can think of is your initial approach to implement a SQL query that provides the information you need.