Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to start instance

Highlighted
Abdullah Rafiq
Regular Collector

Unable to start instance

Hello,
We have a server which is to host 2 instances of the PPM application. This is the development instance, and the testing instance of PPM.

We have successfully installed both instances on the servers. The development instance is started and running, and the configuration team is logged in and configuring the system.

We are having problem starting the test instance of the PPMC application. As I mentioned, we have installed these on the same server.

I have changed the all the port numbers in the kConfig.sh menu for the HTTP port and the RMI port, as well as other ports. The error message I am getting is : Reason: java.net.BindException: Address already in use

I am not sure what Address is already in use. I browsed the Self-Solve search menu, and that directs to check the HTTP and RMI port. Which I have already changed.

Our configuration is PPMC 8.0 with SP1 on Linux server. Attached is the log file when we try to start up the instance, and the screen shot of the bash command.

Thanks for any and all help.

-Abdullah
7 REPLIES
Dale Colliver
Regular Collector

Re: Unable to start instance

I had the same problem. There are about 6 - 8 other ports that are defaulted for clustering. That is fine if you have a clustered environment but is a problem if you have multiple instances on the same server and then you get the port conflict. Go to the workbench and run the server config report for both instances and it will show all of the additional ports. Change the ports in conflict on one of the instances. You can just bump the port numbers up or down one or two numbers and add the new parameters and ports into the config file.
Abdullah Rafiq
Regular Collector

Dale,
Do you know which ports those are?
I've checked kConfig.sh and the Server.conf files between both instances to make sure that the port numbers are unique.
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Hey Abdullah,

From your screen shot it looks like it may be

com.kintana.core.server.APP_SERVER_UIL2_BINDING_PORT

that is in use.

If you're not doing clusters with these servers I think you can comment out all the cluster-specific parameters in server.conf like the MULTICAST_IP, MULTICAST_PORT, APP_SERVER_* ports for both instances.

You might try that for both dev & test, then fire up one of them and use a 'netstat -vatn' to verify what ports are actually being used and see if you have configured in the other server.conf that would clash.
Abdullah Rafiq
Regular Collector

Hi Erik,
good to see you're still around.
I did comment out the server.conf parameters that are related to clustering.
the commands such as
MULTICAST_CLUSTER_NAME, APP_SERVER_MULTICAST_PORT etc.
However, the token names you mentioned MULTICAST_IP, and MULTICAST_PORT are associated with 'PPM Server and JBoss Application Server' according to kConfig.sh
I did try commenting those out but then get a different error. So I uncommented those 2 commands.
attached is the serverlog let me know if you still have remaining ideas!
Dale Colliver
Regular Collector

I am missing part of this thread because I can not open the attachments now. The clustering ports that cause the problem do not appear in the server.conf unless you add them manually. Otherwise, they are defaulted to fixed ports and you can only see them by running the server config report from the workbench. We had to add them manually to both instances and set the ports differently on one instance to avoid the conflicts.
James++
Regular Collector

Hi Abdullah,

The same error I also faced while starting the PPM 8.0 server after we have installed on our Unix box. This error is coming because the Java Home path is not set properly or the PPM installation is not proper.

We resolve this issue after installing the server again and setting the Java Home properly in .profile file.

Thanks James.
Abdullah Rafiq
Regular Collector

everyone, appreciate the responses. So I was not able to find out the root cause of the problem. I did use kConfig.sh to change the clustering ports but that did not help.

i ended up doing another install of the PPM application and that fixed the problem. the problem was not an incorrect java home variable in the bash profile.

i believe the problem was related to a corrupt installation.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event