Two work plan names are displayed after migrating msp project work plans

Highlighted
kndlny
Super Contributor.

Two work plan names are displayed after migrating msp project work plans

Hi,

We are using v9.10.

We have migrated MSP work plan to PPM.

We have noticed that on the project overview page, two work plan names are displayed.

When you click on the edit work plan button, there is one work plan name, let's say Project A, in level 1 and there is another work plan name, again Project A, in level 2 and then actual summary tasks and tasks start.

Manual solution would be indenting out all the summary tasks in level 3 to level 2 and then removing the Project A in level 2.

For one project, it may seem a wise solution, but for 400 projects it might be painful to update manually.

Is there any alternative solutions you can suggest, maybe from web service.

We are only sending one Project name value to work plan, are we supposed to specify something else ?

Thanks

2 REPLIES
dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Two work plan names are displayed after migrating msp project work plans

Hi kndlny,

the reason for the behaviour is 99% due to the fact that in MSP, you have activated the top-level summary task to give the project workplan a name different to the one that PPM provides per default.

In MSP (I am using MSP 2k10, so it might be different slightly in your case) and inside the project that you pushed to PPM, in the menu, open -> File -> Options -> Advanced ->and then in the section 'Select options for this project', check if 'Show Project Summary Task' is active.

If the MSP project summary task has one name and the PPM project has another, one always takes precendence over the other but in the end you'll have two project summary tasks, one of which looks 'sub' to the other. Don't do that. Let PPM decide the workplan name.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Dirk

kndlny
Super Contributor.

Re: Two work plan names are displayed after migrating msp project work plans

Hi dirkf,

Thanks for the reply but I think this is related to visualization.

Since we are getting the data from the database, I do not think this will resolve our issue.

Thanks,