cancel

Turning off page rotation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Alan Delimon
Super Contributor.

Turning off page rotation

7.5 has dashboard page auto-refresh functionality called Page Rotation. It would probably be good to find a way to disable this, as it could generate a lot of unnecessary DB load.

Is there a configuration parameter that allows this to be turned off?

7 REPLIES
Alan Delimon
Super Contributor.

Re: Turning off page rotation

To resolve:

1. Stopped the PPM service
2. Modified the server configuration parameter (in server.conf)
com.kintana.core.server.DASHBOARD_PAGE_AUTO_REFRESH_DISABLED from FALSE to TRUE
3. Saved the server.conf
4. Ran sh kUpdateHTML.sh from /bin
5. Started the PPM service
Sascha Mohr_1
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

Hello Alan,
I thought you meant the feature to automatically change the displayed dashboard page every x seconds (the leftmost button in the top right corner of the dashboards. We have set DASHBOARD_PAGE_AUTO_REFRESH_DISABLED to true, but this button does still work.
DASHBOARD_PAGE_AUTO_REFRESH_DISABLED is an older parameter that supposedly prevents users from creating their own dashboard pages and have them automatically refresh.
Regards
Sascha
Alan Delimon
Super Contributor.

That is good to know. Maybe support was wrong then? Is there a way to disable this entirely? Or at least default it to a really high value so that it doesn't load up the database unnecessarily?
Sascha Mohr_1
Outstanding Contributor.

Unfortunately we did not find a switch for that yet. The default is 30 sec, it is not causing any problems I think. To me this function seems pretty useless, because elements in PPM that require my attention will send a notification.
Therefore we did not contact support on this issue yet.
Regards
Sascha
Alan Delimon
Super Contributor.

Thanks! We had an issue about users not being able to change the page name once they created a new one, and I undid that parameter. Then it worked. Sad to see that support was wrong about this one.
Alan Delimon
Super Contributor.

Ok so I couldn't find an effective way in the configuration to disable this. There is apparently something called "Kiosk mode" that needs to be turned off. But the documentation makes no mention of it, and it's not in server.conf that I can see.

So, I extracted dashboard.war, and modified app/portal/PageView.jsp.

Modified the JSP so that it doesn't display this button. This effectively takes away the ability to do this. There was no way I could see to do it in the configuration.

Commented this block:
<%-- kiosk mode/page-rotation button --%>
<%-- disabled AJD 11/25/2008

-->

Now users can't click the button so rotation will never be enabled. This should work for us.
Alan Delimon
Super Contributor.

See above for my fix.