Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Trigger Notification for Table Component Fields ??

Highlighted
Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

Trigger Notification for Table Component Fields ??

Hi,

I know PPM probably does not have any OOB functionality to trigger notification on Table component fields but I was wondering if anyone here has implimented any easy workaround which could help us achive that. In a couple of custom requests here we are using Table component to track tasks and were just exploring if it was possibleto trigger out an email on one of the table component value change. Any suggestion will be appreciated !

Thanks.

-Raj

8 REPLIES
Celil
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Trigger Notification for Table Component Fields ??

Hi Raj,

You have 2 ways;

1. You can use connectIT which is HP freeware tool. It can consume web services or detect changes at DB tables. For more information here is the link: http://www.techport13.com/publications/newsletter/​details/CIT3.90UsersGuide-EN.pdf
  2. OR you can create triggers for each table in Oracle.

PS: Please keep alive our forum via KUDOS the professionals.

Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks for your quick response Celil !  Good suggestions here..

But I was trying to see if we can somehow achive in a little easier way, perhaps by playing around with PPM's existing Demand functionality and utilizing the Rules and  Notification features of Requests. 

Any Possibilites ?

Celil
Acclaimed Contributor.

Actually, There is a more simple way. I jave just remembered :)

Create a rule in Request Type which is trigerred by "On Creation". It can call a SQL which call a Oracle function. The Function can do anything.

OR

Create an execution step which is first step of Request. This execution step can run a OS shell script. The script can do anything

PS: Please keep alive our forum via KUDOS the professionals.

Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

Not sure if I got that.  I am not sure "On Creation" will apply on my case at all as I am having to deal with table component field value change without any workflow movement. If there was any step transition movement, nnotifications would have been real easy. But in my case, User responsible for Task  in seq 1  will only change a TC field value from 'Pending' to 'Complete' and I am somehow looking to notify the person responsible for task in sq # 2.  I know its real easy when you use workplan but in this particular case I am unable to utilize workplan :-(  Appreciate your suggestions though.

-Raj

philipwood
Super Contributor.

Hi Raj,

A bit Rube Goldish, but what about a solution along the following lines:

For the table component in question, in the table component definition create a SQL, on field change rule.

In this rule use a 'select from dual' sql statement that calls a custom PL/SQL Function.

In the custom PL/SQL function arrange for a mail to be sent using some mechanism.

The UTL_SMTP package or inserting an email job into a table that is polled by some custom report are two mechanism that come to mind.

Please let us know if you do this in some way, because the mechanism could be quite interesting and useful elsewhere.

Regards

Philip Wood

Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

Thank you Philip,  but I was hoping we could do something without using any pl/sql function :-( .  We are really trying to reduce the use of custom DB functions as much as we can. Thanks for your suggestions though !

-Raj

Kerim KILIC
Honored Contributor.

i didnt try but u can update ootb fields with table component field, then enabling rt notification in workbench may work.

philipwood
Super Contributor.

Another, even more outlandish, suggestion would then be to use client-side javascript to call a service that sends the email...

You can embed any javascript function inside the UI rule function if you manage to get it included in the page sowhere.

(not seriously suggesting it as an answer, but it would be a theoretical possibility)