Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Timesheet Approvals - Odd Behavior

Highlighted
Cat_2
Super Contributor.

Timesheet Approvals - Odd Behavior

Our project managers (approvers) do not always see the timesheets they need to approve in the standard portlet on the project home page (or other approver portlets). What's strange is that if I, as admin, just open and close the timesheet in question (I delegate the user's timesheets to myself so I can see them), it will start to show up in the project manager's list to approve. What is that about? It's as if there's is something missing on the timesheet that is preventing it from being visible to the approver. Has anyone else had similar problems?

They've asked us to shut the system down, clear the cache/work directories and restart - I'll do it but I doubt it will have an effect.

We're on PPM 8.03.

5 REPLIES
dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Timesheet Approvals - Odd Behavior

Hi Cat,

does this occur when the project manager has changed for the project? I currently have a similar issue where this caused the problem, because if the time approver is changed, this may cause problems.

Example:

Project Type (Cost & Effort Section) "Time logged against this project must be approved by a project representative from the following group: Project Managers.

Change the project manager during the project duration while approvals have for instance already been requested.

We have a background service which is responsible to update the possible time and billing approvers. it's called
Evaluate TM Approvers Service (or similar).

There is a defect logged for this. The issue is with the service - it triggers reevaluation only if the field of 'time logged ... must be approved by ... the following group' is changed, and not if the project managers are changed and you'll be able to see that if you change the project manager because there's going to be no entries added to the table TM_PENDING_APPROVERS_EVALS and after the service is executed, the time sheet approvers are not recalculated (table TM_USERS_TIME_APPROVERS).

The defect is QCCR1L44293 and it was reported by me for 8.03.

It has been verified that just entering (no editing needed) the timesheet by any user will retrigger the security and the project manager (time / billing approver) values are changed - this is verified by you.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Dirk

Cat_2
Super Contributor.

Is there a workaround for this? For instance, is there a field we can manually update in the database on submitted timesheets to trigger it to update?

Thanks for all the info!

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Cat,

as long as I don't know the configuration and what you're doing, I'm not sure what workaround to suggest. As stated, a timesheet holds the security and refreshes it when a user opens it. It should refresh the security on approvers also if they change but there is a defect. The workaround currently known is to either set the approvers differently as in above, or for a user to purely open the timesheet (no actions required, just open it) and the security will refresh.

If the scenario  shown above doesn't match, we'll need more details.

Best regards, have a great day,

Dirk

Cat_2
Super Contributor.

Our current config is that we use timesheets to enter all labor actuals and those get summed up on the work plan and financial summary. The [Project_Managers] group you mentioned are the approvers. I can talk to the team about adding an approver field instead.

In terms of opening the timesheets, for the end user entering the timesheet everything works fine. For the approvers, they don't even know the timesheets exist and cannot open them anyway as the system does not recognize them as an approver. When I open a timesheet - is the refresh of approvers triggered by something in the DB or a service that gets fires on open?

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Cat,

I don't know the exact update that is made but somewhere in backend, a service is updated that if the field has changed, it needs to update the tables above and run for updates. This will then correct the new approver set in the corresponding fields. Nothing needs to be edited by the user opening the timesheet to trigger this.

Best regards,

Dirk