Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

TimeSheets approver (Summary Task Owner vs. Project manager)

Highlighted
AlekseyG
Super Contributor.

TimeSheets approver (Summary Task Owner vs. Project manager)

Hello!

The Case is: 

There is a project with 3 PMs. 

Work plan has 3 high-level summary tasks and each PM is the owner of one of these summary tasks (one PM - one sum. task). 

Every PM (or every summary task owner) can see and approve all timesheets submitted for any workplan's task. 

Desirable system behaviour: Every summary task owner must see and have the ability to approve time sheets submitted for tasks under his own summary task ONLY. 

I've tried to change project setting "Time logged against this project must be approved by a project representative from the following group: " from Project Managers to Summary Task Owners, but nothing has changed.  

Any recommendation would be appriciated!

8 REPLIES
dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: TimeSheets approver (Summary Task Owner vs. Project manager)

Hi Rosbank,

I would think that the current situation you are experiencing is that the timesheets can only be approved by the time approver that is set in the resources settings, which would be expected. Problem with the whole situation is that the resources time and billing approvers are set without any reference to the resources pool allocation or tasks. The time approver or the delegate are able to approve the timesheets which means that the project manager would see timesheets for all resources that he is delegate or direct time approver, regardless of whether that would be the (summary) task of the resource assigned to that task, regardless of which task that would be.

Make sense?

Best regards,

Dirk

AlekseyG
Super Contributor.

Hi Dirkf! Thanks for your answer.

In my situation Project Manager isn't Default Time/Billing Approver for any resource.

But he can see TS for tasks under Summary Task he doesn't own.

Even more. After being excluded from Project Managers (but staying as HIS Summary Task owner) he still have TS for tasks under other Summary Tasks in his approve list.

Which settings can help me to present to Summary Task Owner TS for tasks he is responsible for only?

He has nothing to do with the other tasks of the project...

Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

I'm guessing that in the same way that any project manager listed on that project could approve the time, any summary task owner on the project can approve time...? Maybe HP can confirm their intent...seems like you would certainly want to limit approvals to the areas that the summary task owner "owns".

AlekseyG
Super Contributor.

Hi Eric!

You're right - I want to restrict ST owners to approving timesheets from "their area" ONLY.

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi all,

my assumption without being 100% sure is that this could only be done by the following example configuration.

Say you have Project Manager A creating the projects and the tasks.

Then you have three summary tasks, let's call them 'Database Design', 'Testing', 'Documentation' with their respective subtasks.

You have three Resource Pools that contain resources capable of running these tasks. PM B, C and D are the resource pool managers.

When Staffing the Project, you use those three Resource Pools and resources from within them to assign to tasks.

The resource pool manager is the time approver of all resources within the resource pool he or she manages. Thus making the resource pool manager of the assigned resources the summary task manager, it should work.

When you now have the Staffing Profile set up, you assign the resources to the tasks. The summary task manager is the time manager of the resources and should be able to see the Time Sheets, while another manager should not be able to see them.

It's the only thing that I can come up with out of the hip.

Best regards,

Dirk

AlekseyG
Super Contributor.

Hi Dirk!

Thanks for your example.

We don't separate resource pools at the moment and none of ST owners is resource pool manager. It seems strange that we can't separate summary tasks in terms of time reporting.

AlekseyG
Super Contributor.

"The resource pool manager is the time approver of all resources within the resource pool he or she manages"

i can't find how to make such setting?

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Rosbank,

simply put: If you have your Resource Pools, you know their respective Resource pool managers.

Say Resource Pool A has Resource Pool Manager A.

In that Resource Pool A, you have the resources x, y, and z.

Go to the resource x, y and z, and set Resource Pool Manager A as their direct time (and billing) approver.

Thats what I meant.

I simply don't know any other way of handling your request right now.

Then you need to play with the access grants so that only the time sheets of the direct subordinates can be seen by the time approvers.

Best regards,

Dirk