Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Task Completion with out PM interfernce

Highlighted
Satya Sampath P
Valued Contributor.

Task Completion with out PM interfernce

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regading task closure of a particular Project.

When can a task can be 100% complete without PMs interfernce?

Thanks in Advance,
Satya
17 REPLIES
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Task Completion with out PM interfernce

I hope only the PM Assigned to the Project can edit the Workplan.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Satya Sampath P
Valued Contributor.

Thanks for your reply Mahendra, but here i have a case that without PM's intervention, the task got closed. Don't understand why.. ?
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

Only one task of the Project got closed or all the tasks in Workplan got closed?

Regards,
Mahendran M
Satya Sampath P
Valued Contributor.

Only one Task got completed and rest are in still progress.
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

Kindly see the LAST_UPDATED_BY and LAST_UPDATE_DATE of WP_TASKS of this particular task.

You can find the Task ID in the address bar after you edit the task.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Satya Sampath P
Valued Contributor.

Thanks for your reply Mahendran, but it is showing that the PM has updated it on 2nd Nov but how can we make sure that what change he has made exactly ?
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

I am not exactly sure whether ITG_AUDIT_EVENTS have all the log maintained for Task table.

But see the 'View Task Audit Trail' above the task name, it has all the details.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Satya,

Assuming 7.x or 8.x

When you view/edit the task, there is a link in the upper left corner called 'View Task Audit Trail'. Clicking this should show all the status change events (and others) for this task and tell you who/when it was changed to 'Complete'.

It's possible that whoever the task was assigned to closed it via timesheet, My Tasks portlet, etc.
Satya Sampath P
Valued Contributor.

I have checked that Task Audit Trail details, but that shows the resource assigned to this task only closed it which is not the case in real because the resource himself reported this issue. Any idea how come a task gets closed without the resource assigned or PM's notice.
One more thing, this happened multiple times, each time PM reopens it and allows the resource to report time again.

Am attaching the screenshot of the same.
Please check that and let me know if you are aware of this kind of issue before.
Semenov Alexand
Acclaimed Contributor.

Satya,Hi.
Do you try use Time Management in Project.
If you use this then PM can't change actual values.
This is it or I miss?
Satya Sampath P
Valued Contributor.

Hi Semenov,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, we use Time Management in Project Maanagement but even then how come the task's actual finish date was set to 20th NOV and closed itself.
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Sathya,
I hope the PM Closed the task without his knowledge, I have not faced this issue or never noticied this before.

Do you use any webservices to close the task when the request is closed anything like that?

Regards,
Mahendran M
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Satya,

It is possible for a resource to 'close' a task by reporting time against it without explicitly changing the percent complete.

For example, if the resource's task assignment is say 8 hrs and the resource logs 4 hrs, then the % complete will automatically change to 50%. Then, if the resource logs more time, greater than or equal to 4 hrs, the sum is now greater than or equal to the original 8 hr assignment so PPM considers the task 100% complete. If the resource saves this time without either manually editing either the % Complete or Est Remaining Effort fields the task will close out.

Hope this helps.
Semenov Alexand
Acclaimed Contributor.

Satya,Hi.
I have an idea:
may be this possible if you have automaticli execution step in WF that are change work plan status. In this case in audit set user who press button to move request/project to execution step.
pdhawan
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Satya,

Do u think while filling the timesheet, resource entered 100 in the % complete field?

This can be possible in this case.

- Piyush
pdhawan
Trusted Contributor.

I am attaching a doc for easy reference...

thanks,
Satya Sampath P
Valued Contributor.

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your inputs, Our problem was resolved.

The estimated remaining hours for the user had reached zero because of which the task against which he was reporting time was getting completed.

Thanks,
Satya