The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synching issue with PPM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
sam.greg

Synching issue with PPM

Hi,

We have production and test environments for PPM server. Supposedly, test is the replica of production. But there are few issues that do not occur in prod but in test.

One such issue is -
1) We have imported a Java portlet which has several fields. One such field is 'Request Status'.
2) Go to 'Personalize Dashboard' and then select the portlet. Under Edit preferences for this portlet there is one 'Request Status' field that one can be populated (for filtering requests) with possible 15 options.
3) In Production, we can select all the 15 values for filtering requests (as they navigate thru development workflow)
4) However in Test, this field throw dialog saying "You have exceeded maximum length of this field" when I click "SAve" button. (Pic attached.)

I am sure, this error states - I should increase the test lenght of this 'Request Status' field. But, am not able to find where should I find this configuration. :(

ANy idea?

Thanks
Sam.
26 REPLIES
Niraj Prabhu
Frequent Visitor

Re: Synching issue with PPM

Sam,

Can you please share the screenshot for Validation associated with this field. That should help us understand what is wrong.

Regards,
Niraj
Niraj P.

Hi,

request status field of the ootb portlets have a maximum field length of 200 characters. However you can select all statuses. But if there are more than 200 characters you will get this error when displaying the portlet.
Is this a ootb portlet? Than you can't modify it.

Regards
Volker
Niraj Prabhu
Frequent Visitor

Volker,

From the screenshot that Sam shared, it looks to me that he is trying to use Request List portlet which is out of box.

I think he can still create a custom validation and resolve this.

I am sure you will agree to see the validation screenshot.

Thanks!
Niraj
Niraj P.
sam.greg

Hi Niraj,

Yeah, its oftb portlet (imported java portlet).
So how can I customize it now? Do we need source code for that? I have server box access where PPM is deployed.

Pleas let me know.

Regards,
Sam.
Niraj Prabhu
Frequent Visitor

Sam,

I am talking about the Request Type, where you have this field. Open the validation and share the screenshot to underastand what is coded in it.

Thanks!
Niraj
Niraj P.
sam.greg

Hi Niraj,

I cannot see this datasource for this portlet from workbench. The basic name of this portlet is "Request List".

Can we see any validations for this portlet from workbench?

Regards,
.\Sam

Hi,

the validation is the "CRT - Request Type Status - All".
This validation is used for the Request Status field in request type header as well.
This portlet do not have a data source.

Regards
Volker
sam.greg

Hi Volker,

But that validation is of type SQL - Custome. So not sure where is the *lenght* thing is dependent on?

Thanks

Regards,
.\Sam

Not sure if this would work, but it is worth a try.

Click on the Advanced Filter which takes you to another page. On that page, input your values for the filter field "Request Status". See if the error appears.

No guarantee that it would work, but no harm in trying.

- Nisha Kurien
sam.greg

Yeah Nisha. I tried this, but same error.

Regards,
Sam
sam.greg

Hi,

The problematic portlet name is Request List. And as far as I know its OOTB portlet.

The field 'Request Status' works fine on production but on test, if the field values exceeds 200 it throws a popup sayinng - 'You have exceeded the maximum lenght of this multi-select Auto-Compelte field. Please edit the values. Field Name: Request Status:'

So, what could be wrong on test? Please advise.

Regards,
Sam.
sam.greg

Just an additional more info - I could also see that on Live server, there is a 'Done' button on this Request List portlet. But on Test its 'Save'.

What could be the possible reason?

Thansk in advance

Regards,
Sam.

By any chance, do you have another non-prod test environment like a DEV environment, where you can test this portlet out?

I'm guessing that probably this portlet in your Test environment is corrupt. If you do encounter issue with other PPM objects, then the best option would be to refresh your Test instance with your Prod instance.

- Nisha Kurien

sam.greg

Hi Nisha,

Nope. We dont have DEV environment as such. But we do have Production and Tests instances. Issue is with Test, but its not happening in Production.

thanks

Regards,
Sam.
sam.greg

Nisha,

What I really think is - somebody might have increased the limit on Production and because of which the error popup is not coming up in production but on Test.

What say?

Regards,
Sam.

Open the validation in the attached screenshot in your TEST environment. Take a screenshot.

Next open the validation in the attached screenshot in your PROD environment. Take a screenshot.

Please attach both screenshots. Lets try to compare them both and see if there are any differences.

- Nisha Kurien
sam.greg

Test sccreen shot.
sam.greg

Prod.
sam.greg

Production screen shot.
Vibhor_Dwivedi
Acclaimed Contributor

We faced this issue few days back .If you submit a SR they will provide you oneOff patch.

Regards,
Vibhor
Solution

Hi Sam,

Both validations look to be exact. I would like to compare one more item.

In the dashboard, when you click on Search Request and select the request type and click on the Request Status, can you count how many request statuses show up in the auto complete list for both TEST and PROD.

There is a possibility that the number of request statuses in TEST is more than the request statuses in PROD. Would you be able to verify if the counts are exact?

Let me know your results.

- Nisha Kurien
sam.greg

Hi Nisha,

On Test the total options for Request Status filter is 25 where as on Prod its 21.

What is the significane of these numbers? any trick you are trying to apply?

Thanks

Cheers!
Sam
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Do all the 21 which exists in PROD exist in Test, without any naming difference?

Can you show the snap of the status which is missing in PROD?

Regards,
Mahendran M
sam.greg

Hi Mahendra,

I re-checked but yes, both Prod and Test has exactly the same names and number. I mean total number of statuses on Test and Prod are same and it is 20. (my earlier post was incorrect because I checked for different requests on test and Prod..my mistake)

I discovered this problem, because I had added 21st status on Test.

So, where could be the problem?

Cheers
Sam.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event