The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange behavior of PPM 8.03 - infinite loop of creating projects

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
roxor

Strange behavior of PPM 8.03 - infinite loop of creating projects

Dear all,

I have very strange problem. I was testing our upgrade of PPM 7.5 to 8.03 on development instance and I found this:

we have request - Proposal and on the end of this request we have possibility of creating Project. This is common execution step in the workflow with command to create project. After click on the button 'Create project' PPM starts to create and delete projects in infinite loop. It has created more than 1000 projects during 20 minutes:) then I have stopped PPM instance. This helps. But when I start instance again, everything continue. This means that PPM is still creating this one project again and again. How to stop it? I can't even investigate this issue when it is still working...

I can't do anything in that Proposal - I can't delete it, I can't click on abort button, I can't do anything. I can't do anything with created project because when I click on it it is already deleted and so on. Have you evere seen something like this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

r.

7 REPLIES
roxor

Re: Strange behavior of PPM 8.03 - infinite loop of creating projects

I managed to stop process of creating projects by starting PPM from console. GUID number from error says this:

com.mercury.itg.exceptions.ObjectNotFoundException
	at com.mercury.itg.fm.service.impl.FMServiceImpl.getParentFsId(FMServiceImpl.java:1469)
	at com.mercury.itg.util.integration.ProjectUtils.updateForecastedSPLaborCostsSettings(ProjectUtils.java:936)
	at com.mercury.itg.util.integration.ProjectUtils.createProject(ProjectUtils.java:288)
	at com.mercury.itg.util.integration.ProjectUtils.createProject(ProjectUtils.java:111)
	at com.kintana.core.server.execution.CreateProject.createProject(CreateProject.java:132)
	at com.kintana.core.server.execution.CreateProject.execute(CreateProject.java:209)
	at com.kintana.core.server.execution.CommandExecutionAgent.doExecuteCommands(CommandExecutionAgent.java:826)
	at com.kintana.core.server.execution.CommandExecutionAgent.executeCommands(CommandExecutionAgent.java:713)
	at com.kintana.core.server.execution.BaseExecutionManager.executeBatchForRegularExecution(BaseExecutionManager.java:1163)
	at com.kintana.core.server.execution.BaseExecutionManager.executeBatch(BaseExecutionManager.java:1094)
	at com.kintana.core.server.execution.BaseExecutionManager.run(BaseExecutionManager.java:841)

I would say from this, that problem is in Financial Management. Maybe I should implement something after upgrade to 8.03. Maybe taht automatic snaphost creating while project is created from proposal...

Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

Well its very strange to delete the Project automatically.... can you please share the logs.

For infinite loop, check the "Create project" step of the workflow, and correct it if requird. i.e. on "Sucess" traverse to Close and on "Faliure" traverse to one step back  (but not on any "immediate" execution step). It will be better if you can attach the screen-shot of your workflow.

Also check Open->Administration->Report Execution -> View Running Execution & View Interuppted executions

these can give you some idea about request execution

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
roxor

Hello Utkarsh,

now I realized that when is PPM started via Windows services, it is still creating and deleting projects. Please find atttached serverLog file. Did you mean also some other logs?

View Running Execution & View Interuppted executions - This proposal is still running and it is also in interrupted executions because I have restarted PPM several times so proposal was interrupted. But it is still running after starting PPM from windoes services.

Please also find attached workflow and source of Create Project step.

Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............

First -

On FAILED event of STEP 10. "Create project", put this transition to Step 8 "Complete Project Information". This flaw is creating infinte loop.... i.e. on failure it is again executing create project command.. then of failure agian.. and so on.

So to correct this put this "Failed" transition to Step 8 "Complete Project Information".

Secondly -

Please share the command logs... use this URL

http://<PPM base url>/itg/logs/REQ_<Request_id>/REQ_<Request_id>.html

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

roxor

from that command logs it is only this record for 2000 times:
Execution Workflow: Proposal
Batch Workflow Step: 10 - Create Project
48067 Finished: September 6, 2011 04:12:37 PM CEST - Failed

How can I stop it? I would say that changing the workflow (of course it is needed in this case) will affect only new requests. But this is stil running.
Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor
Solution

Change the workflow immediately.... then restart the PPM server... it will stop this command execution.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

roxor

oh it is stopped after workflow change:) great. Utkarsh thanks a lot for your help!!! Now I have to find out why that step was failing during project creation....
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event